phpBB upgrade

For all the latest news regarding the website and helpful guides for you to make your stay at the forum more comfortable.
Uncle Bob
Site Admin

phpBB upgrade

Post by Uncle Bob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Spent a few hours researching upgrading the forum from v3.1.10 to the lastest v3.2.7.

I think I have it sussed. I'm going to try it soonish (next week, probably earlier in the morning). Just to let you know. If the forum isn't here for a while, it probably went badly...! I'll post again the day before I do it.

UB

katmarch
Committee Member

Re: phpBB upgrade

Post by katmarch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Please take a backup to your computer first, or let me know when you are doing it & i'll grab a backup.
KOC 30 My Gallery

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 pm

katmarch wrote:Please take a backup to your computer first, or let me know when you are doing it & i'll grab a backup.
Oh yes! I don't need you lot getting onto me at the next EK :-) I had to research how to get a backup of the SQL db and did that - 2 different ways to make sure.

SamK
Site Admin

Post by SamK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am

Uncle Bob wrote:Spent a few hours researching upgrading the forum from v3.1.10 to the lastest v3.2.7.

I think I have it sussed. I'm going to try it soonish (next week, probably earlier in the morning). Just to let you know. If the forum isn't here for a while, it probably went badly...! I'll post again the day before I do it.

UB
Give me a shout if you need help and/or if you want me to run it...

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:20 pm

OK, thanks Sam. If it's something you are happy doing (and easy for you) then be my guest to do it, else I'll keep it on the todo list for a rainy day.

One thing I wanted to change is the links opening up in another window rather than same window. It should be like this as default (as per some www guidelines and phpBB changed to that in v3) but I think when you upgraded someone asked you to make them open in a new Tab (window) like the old version. I read up on how to do it but I think you did another way to what I was reading as couldn't work out how you did it!

One reason I wanted to to open in same window was for the Tools to Borrow index, as it is better then, as at present it opens a new window each time you click to view the tool in question.

Thanks

Rob

SamK
Site Admin

Post by SamK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 pm

First step complete... server now running PHP 7.1
Latest is 7.3, but that’s not quite so straightforward. I’ll do the actual board first.

The ‘thanks’ functionality will be disabled until it’s updated. There are specific versions for different PHP versions.

Other than that, everything should be the same with a slight speed increase.

PaulD
Club Member

Post by PaulD » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:03 pm

It might be teething problems with the latest version but the text of some of my posts appear to have disappeared? The header and footer are there but no text? It's not all my posts just the odd ones.
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 pm

The icons for editing the post, thanks etc seem to be a text list plus the Send Email link is a bit wrong (there's a %s in the link)...

I have a screen shot but the attaching of files doesn't work now, just so you know - "Error parsing server response." and you don;t get the "Add inline" button.

Try to use B I U etc which places the markup around the text then submitting gives an error - "Your message contains too few characters." so you cannot post.

Possible the version of phpBB doesn't support php 7.1? Maybe phpBB upgrade will sort it?

Sorry...!

PaulD- have you got a link to a post that isn't working or can give info so we (Sam!) can try and find it.

pop-up
Club Member

Post by pop-up » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Just out of interest what was wrong with the original setup?

SamK
Site Admin

Post by SamK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 pm

I’ll run the upgrade in the morning..
if it doesn’t fix it I’ll roll everything back to the backups I took.