Restored Katana Pop-Up Value

For discussion on the GSX750 S3 and S4
Hootsy
Club Member

Restored Katana Pop-Up Value

Post by Hootsy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm

In a couple of months, when I finish restoring my 1984 pop-up, my 1983 pop-up will need to be sold. I don't think I've seen a restored one for sale, so I've no idea how much I should be looking for. The frame and engine covers are powder coated in gold and the wheels are painted to match. All the black parts have been powder coated and the swing arm was re-anodised. It's a Jap import and is generally very original (the rear shock still adjusts!) The only major mods are braided brake and clutch hoses and the Marving exhaust, to the original pattern. It has 40k kms (25k miles) on the clock, but the engine was rebuilt with the top end from a lower mileage engine (about 20k miles, if I remember).

There are a couple of high mileage, unrestored bikes on ebay at the moment for 4.5k to 5k, so any thoughts on how much I should be looking at for this one?
Attachments
20190615_125752.jpg
20190615_125648.jpg
20180728_151514.jpg
20170802_073113.jpg

Nicky Dodds
Club Member

Re: Restored Katana Pop-Up Value

Post by Nicky Dodds » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi hootsy, I hope you're not waiting for someone to tell you your bike is worth 6k+ on the strength of those eBay prices :D :D :D :D
If you've been monitoring them at all you'll know they've been for sale at those inflated prices for absolutely ages. It's the usual dealer trying to triple his outlay by playing the classic card.
As much as I'd like another I would begrudge paying over 2.5k for one of those on eBay. Red leader will give a more accurate price as he has loads!
Yours looks well by the way...
GSX1100SD
GS550MX.....5 year old grandaughter thinks it's hers!

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi there matey , pretty much as Nicky said those advertised are what we call supertramps. ( Dreamer)
The most you could realistically expect for a pop up is £2500.......and that would be in the correctish gold's. There were 3 different gold's !
This one looks nice enough ....though the frame gold is a bit blingy. May be just the photos though..
If I were to be honest £1750-£1900 would be fairer with MOT.

However that said punt away..........there have been many Katanasd on the bay of evil at silly money ,then relisted lower again and again until it goes for proper pricing.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Hootsy
Club Member

Post by Hootsy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:11 am

That sounds incredibly low. My second Kat was over 3k, which was low mileage and well looked after, but very much unrestored. My first thought was somewhere between 5k and 6k, but I had no idea at which end of that range to aim for. I certainly wouldn't put it on for less than 5k, though.

You're limited by the shades available for powdercoat, so the gold definitely isn't standard, but if you're going to have a gold bike, have a very gold bike!

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:59 pm

I think you just have to try for what you want initially and see what happens. The ones on Ebay I think are overpriced and if you are going for the top price then generally they need to be fairly factory original. Given the high prices of the ones on Ebay if you price a bit lower yours will look very good value in comparison and private generally are less than trade. I think for £5k you will be waiting a while, but near £4k you might get lucky.
The best price I have seen a popup go for was member on here a year or 2 back, which I think was about £4000, but that was one of the Oz ones with the extra power etc, so the rarest.

Even an original GSX750S would have difficulty getting £5k I would say and it has the kudos of the original design.

You could try PMing Alexandre in France as he was after one a short while ago, for someone else, and given the rubbish £ to € at present £4500 to £5000 isn't so bad that side of the channel maybe.

UB

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 pm

There is one on now for £5000, totally original mostly unrestored and is nice but he'll really struggle although it is probably the better one advertised at the moment.

You are correct hootsey about the lack of choice of gold in powder coating , this is why I choice 2 pack instead powder coating the nearest proper colour and really good match Nissan Metallic Gold.

We may be wrong and are in the process of reassessing pricing. All I will say is as always there is never a correct price just what someone is willing to pay. Good luck.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Hootsy
Club Member

Post by Hootsy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks guys - I saw the £5k one arrive on Ebay yesterday, and I think that's definitely a better barometer of price than the dealer ones - if it sells, of course...

Based on that I think I'll go £4.5k to £5k, depending on how he gets on with his. Mine is at the opposite end of the country, so hopefully not competing for the same buyers!

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 pm

As said in eBay post.... :o what do we know? :roll: good luck.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Hootsy
Club Member

Post by Hootsy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks - it's just completed Land's End to John O'Groats, so it needs a good clean, first!

Berti44
Club Member

Post by Berti44 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Simple answer: it’s worth what the buyer will pay and the seller agrees too. For me £3500 top end. I’m restoring mine and don’t expect any financial profit but lots of enjoyment. Good luck with the sale.