Progress update....or not.....

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
fossie
Club Member

Re: Progress update....or not.....

Post by fossie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:40 pm

Yes , the headlamp it temporarily switched off as the starter is depressed , it isn't part of the starter circuit , the current dosen't go through the bulb as continuation, it goes through the relay.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

johnD

Post by johnD » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:45 pm

Hi Smallkat, yes, if it's going to start, the headlamp will not affect anything..... other than being a drain on the volts if your battery is iffy.
Surprisingly, my thing is quite happy to start now that I have shed blood, sweat and tears. Whether it does make a difference or not, I've de-resistored the spark plug caps and gone for the softer, 8's plugs with the single electrode. (I found these caps on a GSX1400 Ive been working on, they have the unscreable connection that lets you remove the resistor).
Struggled the new fan switch into place, fan runs, finally runs cool with no boiling over. But, and there's always one. Now the oil pressure switch has gone on strike. Easy test, just unscrew the lead on the switch, (on the side of the oil filter) and earth it, oil light should go on. If it does its the switch, if not, its the bulb.
Of course, I went straight for the bulb..... Which means virtually stripping the instrument binacle..... Oh well, I wasn't doing much today.....
Cheers.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:03 pm

You really are unlucky with this one! But at least you are still smiling.

The flimsy little wire broke off my switch, but it's sorted now. I must remember to check the warning light is still working at next start up.
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:23 pm

Bet you're glad you dodged this bullet, Smallkat.....
I'm a bit surprised at the level of electrical failures. Bulb, well, OK. Fan switch.... Hmmm. Oil pressure switch......?
Now, this has been stood since 2010. Various bodies have been pummeling the starter, to the point of burning one out. Batteries have been flattened, replaced, and flattened ad infinitum. So the electrical system has been subjected to stress over and above normal usage. Even so, the switches are quite robust, I would have expected them to shrug this off. Juries out, but I will be monitoring any future failures. Time to button it all up, again, book an MOT and give it a good bit of running.
Cheers.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:57 am

You have been particularly unlucky with this one. You have my deepest sympathy. But really the electrical woes are nothing compared to a Buell.
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:46 pm

Call me obtuse, or certifiable, Smallkat, but this is the kind of thing I revel in..... As I have mentioned, I do a little bit of repair and servicing, pin money is handy, but the challenge is the reason and the satisfaction. Most bike shops won't touch the 'older' bikes and anyway their costs are eye watering. I get to see them when all their usual avenues have failed, (Dad, mate down the road, old fella had a Bantam in the fifties...). I've generally managed to give them back a running, and safe, motorcycle. With this one, it's been a case of physician, heal thyself. On reflection, there was very little actually wrong. If I had sussed the timing rotor sooner, I could have pottered around fixing the results of thriteen years standing and all the other people who have 'had a go'. I spent far too long dicking about with the carbs, then the weather turned arctic, so, its actually not been that bad, just that I can embroider a story like the Bard!
Mate had a Buell, the carb fell off on the motorway.... to much meriment of we Honda riders. Laughing on the other side of our faces on the twisty stuff up round Hawes, those things defy the laws of physics!
Cheers all.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:32 pm

Probably certifiable. But... I salute you sir! Most old things are not worth repairing now if you can't do it yourself. So it's great that you are taking on those machines and keeping them going. I must say your resilience in the face of adversity is remarkable. I would have done a 'johnr' on it by now.

BTW, I have no issue with what trained tech's charge. They have to know a whole load of shit. My mechanical knowledge is no good when a bike is modern enough to have fuel injection. And a recent-ish wiring loom? I will never work it out. I normally stick to a simple stroker.

I would advise everyone to avoid Buells, unless...A) you want a low miles XB12SS and are willing to pay £8K, or B) you really wanted a Vincent but will never be able to afford one.
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:45 pm

Hi all.
Well, today dawned drizzly and dank, just the job for its first run out since 2010.
Up to the MOT place, runs very smoothly, all seems to be well. Arrived to much 'ooohing' and 'ahhing' from the mechanics, even taciturn Rob was heard to admit it's a nice looking bike. (Bikers Wharehouse, Farnworth. Old school, keep them supported while we still have places like this).
First impressions are that this is a very interesting alternative the overweight,overpriced, tech laden modern midweights. Good brakes, handles well, loving actually having a steering lock compared to the Falco.
But, there's always a but. Big flat spot at circa 5000 RPM, time for some intensive carb tuning now she's fully legal.
One thing I have noted is that, even after a good run, the exhaust drians are still dripping water. NOT coolant, just the murky condensate from combustion. I have noted this when running it up in the garage, but after ten miles the exhaust system should be hot enough to boil this off. With a mild steel, unobtainium silencer system, this does not bode well for longevity. It was very humid today so that will not have helped... But......
Anyway, most hurdles hurdled, all electrics are now present and correct, bit of tuning, (famous last words) and we should be ready for summer...
Cheers.
20230211_115523.jpg
20230211_115532.jpg

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:07 pm

Rob still at Farnworth! Nowt changes eh? The flat spot at 5000rpm could be as simple as airfilter, these 400s are as your aware very leanly carburettored and 5-6 grand is where the main jet is opened fully... A colour tune is the way the factory recommends ...that's what the 10mm nuts in the headers are for. ;)
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:58 am

Good brakes? I've fully rebuilt mine and I would only put them in the 'acceptable' category. This is judging by the X7 (wooden and no power) to the Buell (incredible, but 8 piston caliper and rim disc help).

Mine has no flat spot, so it's not another 400 'feature'. Use filter number 13780-01D51. Goes straight in and fits properly. Lots for sale on ebay for under £20.

My exhaust drains also drip a lot of water, even after a decent ride. I think the system may be stainless?

It does look fabulous. Let me have it when you are done and I'll pop my engine in, sorted! :)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R