Progress update....or not.....

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
johnD

Progress update....or not.....

Post by johnD » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:21 am

Hi all. Been a bit quiet on here lately, not surprising given the frigid weather. Anyhoo....
Once the glaciers had receded, I gave her a final check over ready for its MOT.
First job, insurance. Tried to get Bennets to give me a multi bike quote, seems to have caused some kind of underwriters meltdown. A day wasted in back and forths, confirm this, confirm that, finally a quote..... Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, some horrendous amount involving a lot of noughts.
Went online..... £54.
Insurance sorted, booked MOT, took her for a quick shake down run around the locality. Hmmm..... Enough steam to keep Fred Dibner happy. Tank off, all hoses firmly in place, overflow bottle boiling and steaming. Short story cut short, fan switch inoperative. Ordered switch, cancelled MOT.
In the process of fault finding, ping, dip beam blew. Now I've found a job more awkward than getting the tank fuel lines fitted. Stripped fairing to get to the bulb.
But. No problems starting and running, once these bits are fitted, I rekon she's a goer.

Smallkat
Club Member

Re: Progress update....or not.....

Post by Smallkat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:17 pm

That's bad luck. I have never heard my fan come on, but I am guessing it does, as it has never boiled over.

Hopefully, you will be trouble-free once you get these issues out of the way. Are you bringing it to the NABD rally?
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:00 pm

hi Smallcat.
Would have shaken her down ages ago, but it was just too cold for my old bones. I had noticed a lack of fan but hadn't really run her in anger so it went to the back of my cluttered mind.
Also in that clutter, I seem to remember one of the bretheren noting bulb failure as being common, might have to look at that a bit closer.
Which NABD rally are you talking about? I generally attend the one in Lyme, Sepetemberish, and there was one down in the outskirts of Nantwich at a country pub, the Burtpore. Seems to have moved to Alsager this year, August. Always went to them on the Honda, but the Suzy will be making an appearance.... Hopefully!

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:48 pm

NABD rally is a rally , a proper do with bands and beers etc ,
The lymm etc are just a turn up on the day show .
Day tickets are available for the NABD ( national association of bikers with disablement.) but it is where 28 + will be gathering together . It's on the Cheshire showground May 5-7 ..( Knutsford)
Details in events page .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:22 pm

johnD wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:00 pm
hi Smallcat.
Would have shaken her down ages ago, but it was just too cold for my old bones. I had noticed a lack of fan but hadn't really run her in anger so it went to the back of my cluttered mind.
Also in that clutter, I seem to remember one of the bretheren noting bulb failure as being common, might have to look at that a bit closer.
Which NABD rally are you talking about? I generally attend the one in Lyme, Sepetemberish, and there was one down in the outskirts of Nantwich at a country pub, the Burtpore. Seems to have moved to Alsager this year, August. Always went to them on the Honda, but the Suzy will be making an appearance.... Hopefully!
Yeah, I don't ride in the cold or rain.

When the fan comes on the Buell it's nearly louder than the engine!

Bulb failure is something I haven't experienced yet. I guess with all old bikes, you need to check all connectors and earths.
Last edited by Smallkat on Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:14 pm

The bulb blowing shudden't be a problem at the moment for you Smallkat it's really to do with constant starting and the bulb going out momentary while the starter circuit cuts in .. :D

However once you feel it's warm enough to keep trying it start constantly , have a handy H4 ready ;)
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:29 am

Ah, okay. I will get a spare bulb, because knowing my luck, that's the next problem.
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:43 pm

Hi fossie, found your post just before you answered. Given that its fairing off to get to the headlamp, its a faff I could do without. Now, I admit I've been stopping and starting it a lot, but that, really, shoildn't affect these bulbs too much. Can't ever remember changine bulbs on the fireblades, certainly never on the Aprilia and if anything is going to put surges through the electrical system, its that lump churning over from cold. Can't blame vibration, this one hasn't run since 2010... For the time being I'll wait and see, and carry the requisite tools for dropping the fairing...
Next little puzzle. What does the temperiture sender actually do? There is no water temp. guage, just a bulb, so its on or off. Why fit a transponder when a straight rad fan switch would do the job?

So, to the NABD. Yes, got my acronyms mixed up, I immediately thought VJMC. First, believe me, I don't do camping, not since the last Dragon rally, 2012, (nifty badge, speedo/rev counter showing 20mph, 1200 rpm). I'm still frozen from that one. If it's a turn up to a club stand, I might well go, only down the road. But the prospect of a beer soaked, dishevelled weekend is not one that particularly tempts.....
Cheers.

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm

Reference the bulb situation , it is to do with bikes fitted with daytime running lights ...
On the bikes you mentioned the lights are on and stay on ...however daylight running lights fitted to all bikes (and cars now ) . A relay is activated to switch the light off while the starter button is depressed ,** all because so yank must've sued someone because he forgot to put his light on **

**high probability ...
The lack of gauge is indeed a bollox! The temp switch is basically just a switch on fan , there are 2 one for thermostat to fan and one for red light ( it's too bloody late!)

As for manning club stands we don't have a stand at the NABD , we used to do shows , In fact we did Stafford for 12 years or so , even did the Manchester last year , but It takes a certain type of people to do shows ( and those who attend). Believe me I'm not one! Although I manned the stands at all the shows ....13 bloody L!!!!

The next newsletter might have an event that may be of interest , if we get it sorted.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:14 pm

I know this sounds stupid as I type it, but the bike starts with a failed headlamp bulb, doesn't it? This is important to me, as I don't go out in the dark either. It's a wonder I get out at all!
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R