Progress update....or not.....

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Re: Progress update....or not.....

Post by Uncle Bob » Sun May 21, 2023 8:55 pm

johnD wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm
The conversion (now) is easy. If you are going this route I'll give a detailed write up.
I'll be hassling you for this for The Pride :D
You've got a few months as yet though...

UB

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Mon May 22, 2023 10:35 am

How about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166087514398 ... BMwvidsIhi

Are these only a single throttle cable? Not push/pull?
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Mon May 22, 2023 7:48 pm

Yep they'll do the job apparently ;) The push pull system isn't needed as the return diaphragm is strong enough ....to be honest the return cable isn't really nessecary on the 400 anyway ..
I never refitted mine as it was a basta** to get right .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

johnD

Post by johnD » Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Thems 'um Smallkat, saves me posting the same images. A reasonable price as I recall. If you are springing for them, order up some 90 main jets as well. Everything else is just a matter of swapping the main jet needles for yours, lift the needles to the next lower notch from middle, drill the vacuum hole to 6mm.
Yes, its a single pull throttle, stupid easy to fit the cable after the BDST's. Choke pulls from the middle, cable should reach, a bit of a tortuous run bt works fine.
Just one caveat. These are ever so slighty longer in length, which makes the carb to airbox rubbers even more of a ballache to fit. I chopped the rear sealing ring of rubber off, heated them throughly, and eased them into place with a long wedge. The airbox needs the holding screws removing and moving as far back as it will go, it stays in place and the rubbers seal very well. It looks factory when done, I even sprayed the tops black.... Just to confirm versimiltude, a 1000 Kat turned up at Barton tonight, Its carbs look exactly the same as the BS32's, so even more true to the original!
I'm happy to help for infinite brews, just as soon as I get through my backlog.
My next job is to modify the ZZR600 Givi side rails I've just aquired to fit, I'm lost without a top box for all my sundries, this will be a work of art, or the work of the Devil...
Cheers,

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Mon May 22, 2023 8:35 pm

John D& K in Newcastle under Lyme has rear tailpiece for 400 for sale £34 each side ...but make an offer .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

johnD

Post by johnD » Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

thanks SK, I'm on it.
cheers.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu May 25, 2023 10:54 am

johnD wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 pm
Thems 'um Smallkat, saves me posting the same images. A reasonable price as I recall. If you are springing for them, order up some 90 main jets as well. Everything else is just a matter of swapping the main jet needles for yours, lift the needles to the next lower notch from middle, drill the vacuum hole to 6mm.
Yes, its a single pull throttle, stupid easy to fit the cable after the BDST's. Choke pulls from the middle, cable should reach, a bit of a tortuous run bt works fine.
Just one caveat. These are ever so slighty longer in length, which makes the carb to airbox rubbers even more of a ballache to fit. I chopped the rear sealing ring of rubber off, heated them throughly, and eased them into place with a long wedge. The airbox needs the holding screws removing and moving as far back as it will go, it stays in place and the rubbers seal very well. It looks factory when done, I even sprayed the tops black.... Just to confirm versimiltude, a 1000 Kat turned up at Barton tonight, Its carbs look exactly the same as the BS32's, so even more true to the original!
I'm happy to help for infinite brews, just as soon as I get through my backlog.
My next job is to modify the ZZR600 Givi side rails I've just aquired to fit, I'm lost without a top box for all my sundries, this will be a work of art, or the work of the Devil...
Cheers,
Thanks John, I'm away from home from tomorrow until next Wednesday, so I'll order them when I get back.

What do you mean, it's even harder to fit the carb rubbers? It's almost f-ing impossible now!

God, yes, that push/pull cable is a devil to fit.

Will need a photo of the vacuum hole at some point, so I can identify it. Also a photo of your cut rubbers please.
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Thu May 25, 2023 8:01 pm

As it happens SM, I have a friend with a 400 VVT Bandit suffering too. I will be taking mine off to try on his earlly next week. Wiil post pics when done.
Cheers

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:05 am

What an idiot I am. Bought those carbs off ebay, but in the excitement I didn't realise that they have no floats or float bowls!

Another set has appeared, but current bidding is £130. They didn't make the fixed price of £150 last time round. JohnD, are you bidding on them? :-)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:52 pm

Hi all. Not been on here for a while but not been idle. Old age seems to have caught up with my body and now its trips to hospitals for undignified investigations, so least said soonest embarrasment forgotten.
Anyway. Now that she runs like a top its time to turn a pretty toy into a useful tool. I know carriers and top boxes are anathema to some, but a bike is pretty useless to me without a Givi on the back. I seem to travel with a boxfull of wet weather gear, camera, sat nav, some useful tools, smoking sundries and a handy place to shove the helmet at stops. So, I set too with my go to Give rack, the ZZR600 unit, a simple straight bar with a nice angle arm up to the box mounting. A day spent carefully cutting and fitting and....
20230618_115905[1].jpg
20230618_115905[1].jpg
Next little task. I don't know why Suzuki chose the gear ratios on this engine. With standard gearing, 1st and 2nd are virtually useless, the revs going ballistic to move it up to 5 - 10MPH. Looking through gearing choices, the best compromise I could fine was a 16 T front sprocket (14 T standard). It transforms the ride, making the lower gears far more long legged and has not affected top speed in any appreciable fashion. The best of all the mods I have done and heartily recommended for the small price it costs.
Attachments
20230619_192801[1].jpg