Progress update....or not.....

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
pookie

Re: Progress update....or not.....

Post by pookie » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:13 pm

Smallkat, it seems that both the 250 and 400 kats are a bugger to start after being left standing for some time, I try to start my 250 at least every two weeks but if I leave it longer it still starts after a thumb numbing starter button pressing session, my battery doesn't go flat anymore because I've bought a Motobatt battery (the yellow agm one) in fact I have Motobatt batteries in all of my bikes, the Kawasaki Kr-1 can be left for months and still has plenty of power to start the bike, I had to wrap the one for the Kat with black 3m sticker sheet though as you could see the yellow colour through the battery box (OCD strikes again) sorry Smallkat, I don't have a picture of it :)

johnD

Post by johnD » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:08 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. If I might venture, it sounds as though leaving them for a while causes problems, probably, the carbs dry out and it takes a while for the vacuum fuel tap to pass enough petrol to let the engine fire up? It really would be handy to do a plug inspection during this process.
My problem is definitely the original carbs. As per the picture, it just runs filthy rich when starting, if it doesent catch, it just wets and fouls the plugs. If it was one or two cylinders, then I would concentrate on those carbs for a solution, but it is across all cylinders, so, whatever the fault, it is consistant.
This with a dummy tank supplying fuel, so no tap in the way.
If I do say so, I'm not a dummy when it comes to carbs. These have baffled me. I have monitored fuel levels using the clear tube on the floatbowl drain outlet. They are all within a millimetre of each other. The jets have transfered to the BS32's and work perfectly. I can see nothing amis with the original carbs but there obviously is.
Remember, they have been fiddled with by previous owners and agents attempts to get it running, maybe some internal damage to air or fuel galleries? I might be chasing a different fault to everyone else? Whatever, I'm sticking to the BS32's, far better build quality and designed for horizontal fitment..... Oh yes, the BDST's are really designed for a downdraught fitment, tilting them back to fit the Kats inlets puts them at an unnatural angle..... I'll settle for easy starting and good performance...

Fossie, that's an MPH overlay on the speedo, one of the ones from the Knutsford guy. Venturing into slapped wrist territory rather than abiding by the green lobby overkill. Oh, and those flashy light things by the road are only advisory in Salford, especially if you drive a taxi, a blacked out Beemer with a constant thudding noise or a deliveroo pushbiker.
Cheers all.

johnD

Post by johnD » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:40 pm

Best laid plans....
Had hoped to post some inspiring video of a run over Long Hill and some Matlock Bath, but.... My riding mate decided to drop his Fazer 1000 on his left leg, shoulder and arm. Spent the day getting him off to Stepping Hill hospital then recovering his slightly second hand bike... He's OK, bruised and swollen and feeling very sorry for himself. Watch out for the ruts and potholes!!! His front wheel lodged in one and whipped the bars out of his hand. And yes, photos taken and a complaint lodged with the local council. Can't post as its an ongoing case.

So, this weeks question. Once I get up to running temperiture, my fan seems to be on almost constantly. No signs of overheating, engine more than happy to spin along at respectable speeds. I had to replace the original failed temp. sensor with an EBay item, so I'm wondering if its oversensitive or just the wrong temperiture grade sensor. How do your bikes run, please?

Test ran it with the original 105 jets as fitted to these carbs, as expected, too rich, so I've ordered some 90's to see if that lifts the mixture reading a little away from borderline weak. (This may be my temp. problem?)

So, an eventful Easter....

Cheers.

pookie

Post by pookie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Potholes are becoming a real problem, went to box hill in leafy Surrey on the 250 Kat on Sunday and was shocked to see so many large potholes, some were at least three inches deep, ok if you're in a car but on a bike they could be lethal, so be careful out there and as Shaw Taylor used to say on Police 5 ''keep 'em peeled'' ;)

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:53 pm

'keep 'em peeled' - how old are you? :lol:

I used to work in highways maintenance and the easiest thing to do is for central government to cut the budget. Mostly they are in for 8 ish years and then the problem is for the next colour. But when you've been in for 13, the cracks are literally showing.

JohnD - I've never heard my fan come on. It's either broken or my namby pamby riding doesn't get it hot enough. I suppose running slightly weak would mean it runs hotter.
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Thu May 18, 2023 5:50 pm

Not updateed as been away for a little while.
Put 90's main jets in..... Sorted. Runs clean and power right through the rev range. Next project is fitting a Givi top box mounting. It'll be a job as the plastics get in the way of a direct mounting to the subframe. Vague hope, but does anyone have a set of seat plastics to spare? Dont need perfect as they will have to be modified to allow fitting the mounting rails.
Cheers.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Fri May 19, 2023 12:22 pm

John, please can you tell me exactly what carbs you used?
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Hi Smallkat.
mine were off a late model GS550. Trying to get proper model designations is a bit confusing, but I have them as BS32. A few come up on EBay priced from reasonable to eye watering. The conversion (now) is easy. If you are going this route I'll give a detailed write up. Suffice to say mine just... starts! Runs as well as I expect, no problem up to 90, starts to struggle to get passed that but I've not wrapped myself around the tank or revved it stupid in the lower gears. Fuel ecnomy is impressive after riding thirsty thous.
Cheers

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sat May 20, 2023 1:15 pm

A 'how to' and some photo's would be great. I obviously don't want to buy the wrong carbs!
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Sun May 21, 2023 8:13 pm

The same carbs are on he 650 Kat / GT range .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery