one year review.

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
johnD

one year review.

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:10 pm

Just a quick update. Its been exactly one year since I finally put this one back on the road. Its Mot is due this Friday so, I thought, a good time for a summary.
After all the shenanigans of righting its wrongs, (multiple posts passim), I had a running, but unknown quantity, machine. I have to say, after 2400 miles, its turned out to be a stonker of a bike.
Those who don't know these little gems will be dismissive of 400cc, it is, after all, the capacity reserved for those just clawing their way out of the testing limitations bureaucracy. The modern 400cc offerings are a pale shadow of these engineering marvels, being mostly asthmatic twins or plodding singles.(the latest Kawasaki 400-4 a very honourable exception). When the Japanese manufacturers start squabbling over a particular capacity class, fireworks usually result.
So, although I still keep the Aprilia on the strength, it only comes out for real long hauls these days. I do appreciate it's 1000cc's of V twin grunt, but don't, at my age, appreciate the weight OR the fuel consumption or the cost of taxing and insuring it. My tool of choice for 200 mile days is the little Kat.
At first it was restricted to very local trips, still unsure of its reliability and suitability for extended runs at, relatively, high speed. (Given all the modifications). As confidence grew, I now think nothing of running it all day, and that in the company of a Yamaha Fazer 1000. My riding mate is actually happier, quite a law abiding chap and the Suzuki's averages are more in line with his willingness to push the limits.
Once I could engineer and fit a Give top box rack, she is now a useful, to me, tool. I know a top box is anathema to most people, but the ability to carry wet weather coveralls, somewhere to store helmets, security chain et. al. at stops and pick up supplies on the way home is a must for me.
That the Kat is an unusual visitor to most bike gatherings is a bit of an ego booster, more people will gather round for a gander than at the latest whizz bang parked next to it.
So, having blown its trumpet, here is an unbiased impression of one of the more unusual of the Japanese 400 – 4 offerings.
As it comes, (or will do after 30 odd years), this is a very flawed diamond.
There may well be issues with the igniter unit, internal components will be failing after 30 years, capacitors mostly will become dry, (they are, in essence, a battery cell and the electrolyte will degrade). If you have some basic electronics skills, these are easily replaced, as long as they are not encapsulated in potting agent. There are replacement units available, but, be wary. Most of the ones on the market are for the Bandit 400 and require a rewire of the pick up coil and the Bandit trigger wheel installing. I bought two supposedly GSX-R igniters, both were Bandit units. At least these do seem to be readily available and priced well.
And..... The vexed carburettors. As in posts passim, the GS 550 carbs are a nearly identical replacement, just a few judicious mods to perform. Comparing the two, the GS 550 carbs ( BS32) have a nice deep floatbowl with the float unit mounted to the body of the unit, not hung in a plastic cage as with the BDST type fitted to the Kat.... and others of this vintage. The original carbs are prone to flooding and seem to be unable to give reliable cold starts, especially after standing for a while.
I was loath to shout this mod from the rooftops until sure they were an actual improvement, well, show me to the nearest rooftop!
I read that the brakes, or rather calipers, can suffer from corrosion. I'll take that as a warning. Mine has so few miles, 12000 to date, that I have not experienced this, (but have on another 400 I am rebuilding), so is definitely something to look at and keep on top of.
Apart from that........

The riding experience.
As delivered, the performance is quite impressive. I did find, with me, (9 stone odd, maybe 10 stone with riding gear), that it was a bit too revvy. I fitted a one tooth larger front sprocket and this is my happy medium. Heavier riders might be happier with the standard gearing. It accelerates quite smartly without unduly revving it sky high and cruises at 70 – 80 well within its and my comfort zone. What is very impressive is its lack of vibration and quite moderate fuel consumption. Not done an actual MPG test, other than to note I only fill it once per day with plenty left in the tank once home. The Aprilia would take two fills with not that much left, so a big win for my pocket.
I do find the riding position to be somewhat unergonomic, but only after a couple hundred miles, mostly my arms seem to ache more than with the Aprilia.
The seat is very comfortable, the flyscreen seems to work well, not noticed much in the way of windblast at (ahem) higher speeds.
What I do value is its light(er) weight, easy to wheel around and manoeuvrer. But it feels very planted on the road, even if the front end is a bit reluctant in the really twisty roads. Fashion over form, the larger diameter front wheel will inevitably result in slower steering.
Now, I have a particularly well cosseted example, its not actually run for most of its life...... But, a failing of Suzuki's, its paint finishes are less than stellar. I can see places that will need remedy, something for the future maybe.
So, in summation, I am pleased to have brought this one back to life and have actually become more than a little attached to it. At 76 I am not as strong as I was, a fact I have been reluctant to admit. The Kat lets me push my limits without pushing me over the edge. What endears it to me the most, Insurance at £55, tax circa £40, a £25 MOT..... as Mr. Micawber would say, result, Happiness!

Smallkat
Club Member

Re: one year review.

Post by Smallkat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:54 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for that mini-review.

Any chance we can do a deal on some GS550 carb parts? If you remember, I bought some carbs while slightly drunk from ebay. They don't have any floats or bowls and you said you may have some?

I'm starting to think about raising Smallkat from hibernation and I just know she's not going to like to be woken up.

Dean
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:19 pm

Hi Smallkat.
Short answer, I have a set ready to go, didn't cost me much other than quite a bit of time, so, yes, I would be happy to pass them on.
Longer answer. I have picked up, for free, a Bandit VC. Needed a total strip and renovation but is ready for the road. I bought these from a GS650, they need quite some modding to fit the Kat's spacing. As it happens, the Bandits frame encloses the engine/carb area very closely so the spacing is even tighter than the Kats. The larger tops of the BS32's don't allow any closer spacing so a lot of work is just sitting in a box.
These could go straight on, but I would prefer you to use the GS550 carb bodies. As it is, you have everything necessary.
I was in the process of doing a full write up so I'd better get on with it!
If you are in no rush and can wait for a sunny (ish) day I'll happily take a ride up to you to talk you through things.
Cheers

tigcraft

Post by tigcraft » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:46 am

@johnD wow what a fantastic report on your bike. Reports like that make me feel my project bike is going to be rewarding nevertheless it’s a 250. When I bought mine (nearly a decade ago) I envisioned the story would go like yours and it’s good to hear yours did. Mine however was abused and I just chucked it into storage years ago when I fell out with the fact that there was a missing cdi. I’d be exited to see yours John
Old School repairer and magic maker.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:43 pm

johnD wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:19 pm
Hi Smallkat.
Short answer, I have a set ready to go, didn't cost me much other than quite a bit of time, so, yes, I would be happy to pass them on.
Longer answer. I have picked up, for free, a Bandit VC. Needed a total strip and renovation but is ready for the road. I bought these from a GS650, they need quite some modding to fit the Kat's spacing. As it happens, the Bandits frame encloses the engine/carb area very closely so the spacing is even tighter than the Kats. The larger tops of the BS32's don't allow any closer spacing so a lot of work is just sitting in a box.
These could go straight on, but I would prefer you to use the GS550 carb bodies. As it is, you have everything necessary.
I was in the process of doing a full write up so I'd better get on with it!
If you are in no rush and can wait for a sunny (ish) day I'll happily take a ride up to you to talk you through things.
Cheers
Hi John,

Sorry, I posted another reply on your carb thread before I read this. I'd gladly pay for a set of carbs that work! I'm in no rush. I'm going to attempt to start Smallkat as soon as I have fully recovered from my operation, which should be in two or three weeks. If it doesn't start, I'll just ignore it and wait to see you!

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Dean
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R