Replacing Mikuni BDST 32 carburettors with type BS 32.

The 1990's Japanese market GSX250SSN (GJ76A) and GSX400SSN (GK77A)
johnD

Replacing Mikuni BDST 32 carburettors with type BS 32.

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:30 am

At some point, anyone running a 400 – 4 Suzuki, be it Bandit, GSXR or Katana will have suffered flooding, hard starting and or plug fouling at the least. I had all of these (and still do so on a Bandit VC that I am working on).
By fortuitous chance, a friend I help out building his trikes had a box of spares from a Suzuki GS 550, amongst which was a bank of carbs. Already 'severely annoyed' by the performance of the standard fit carbs on the Kat, I offered up the 550's carbs to the, once again, removed carb. inlet stubs. The spacing is exactly the same, this eliminates 90% of the difficulty of fitting alternative carburettors.
Once fitted and with the required modifications, I have found that the hard starting and flooding have been eliminated. Left standing for months (over winter) it started easily, even I had my doubts that it would.....
I will detail the steps needed for replacement after this passage.

The question must be why these carbs were chosen in the first place. All carburettor suppliers were well aware of forthcoming legislations restricting CO2 emissions. 2 strokes were to all intents a dead end, fuel injection the way forward. Mikuni's last offerings were the BDST model in various choke sizes. On inspection, and comparison, these are definitely built down to a price in quality, plastic parts, thin metals etc. This, in itself, is no barrier to an efficient instrument. When working correctly they perform well. My conclusions here are observational coupled with a fair amount of investigation into carburettor performance.
Some things I think are worth noting. The first is that the engine in the Kat is a close relative of the GSX-RR 400 'supersport'. This model was closely engaged in a war within the big 4 for bragging rights, and sales in the hotly contested 400cc marketplace. This was an extremely important market segment in Japan due to licensing restrictions. Peak power was the goal.
To attain this, large carburettor choke sizes were used, along with heady RPM levels. This does, indeed, result in high BHP, but only at these high RPM. That there is any usable power/torque at lower revs is an acknowledgment of some pretty nifty porting and cam timing.
Now consider. At high RPM there is a considerable amount of air being sucked into the inlet. At low, start up revs.... not so much, in fact, the equivalent of a light breeze compared to the gale force at high RPM.
There are many carburettor ideal choke size calculus programs available. All presume a conventional round choke slide carb. The maximum ideal choke size for a 100cc cylinder is between 20 – 22mm. Now, CV type carbs are less efficient due to the obstructions in the airflow, the convention is to add 2 – 4 mm to the ideal choke size. Even with this adjustment it can be seen that the 400's are very over choked for ideal running conditions. To get a mixture suitable for igniting with these constraints is something of a hit and miss affair, as the many instances of starting problems can testify. So, why are the BS type carbs are far easier to start, even though they are the same choke size? My thoughts are that the BDST choke circuit is too complex. It wends its way through a jet in the float hanger plastics before making its way up the long, thin tubes feeding the choke control valves. The BS choke path is much simpler, just a direct feed into the float bowl.
Also, why are the BS type far less prone to flooding? That is easier to answer. The float bowls are larger and deeper that the BDST's, more fluid pressure on the floats to keep them properly closed. It may be that the greater volume of fuel in the BS float chambers assists the choke circuit too..... Its my theory anyway.
Pic 1 demonstrates the deep floatbowl on the BS and the short choke mixture path compared to the BDST
20240218_230433.jpg
So, on with the install. First find some GS550 CV carbs, from the late issue of the model. As these are aged carbs, all the usual checks must be made. Diaphrams, clear jets, no corrosion etc, Check also that the small rubber bungs covering the pilot jet housing are present and in good condition. They are available on E Bay if needed. You will also need to source #90 main jets, the pilots are fine. The slides in the BS are heavier brass items. I drilled out the air bleed hole to 6mm in the base and also shortened the return spring in the slide body to roughly two thirds its length. This to assist the vacuum actuation of the diaphram.
20240216_164842.jpg
The last step in the process is to swap the needles from the BDST's into the BS slides. As they come, the BS needles are a straight, minimum taper design. The Kats needles are heavily tapered. I found that the straight needles gave a yawning flat spot right at 4000 rpm, the transition from pilot to main jet. Although the Kat's needles are smaller in diameter, using these gives a nice transition through this rev range. After that, it is throttle opening and main jet that controls fuelling. I did move the needle clip down, (richer) by one notch and that is where I have left well alone.
(tapered needle for demonstration, not from BDST but similar taper compared to straight needle from BS)
20240216_164818.jpg
Plug readings show a slightly rich mixture at 90 main jets, preferable to slightly lean with the stock 85 main jets, given the revs these things can reach.

Fitment.
The BS32's are more robust than the BDSTs, the outlets are thicker, so take more effort to seat into the inlet rubbers. Some grease and a hot air gun to soften the inlet rubbers allows them to be seated easily, make sure the securing bands are fully loosened.
The really awkward part comes with airbox to carb rubbers. These are a pain with the standard carbs, the BS32's are slightly longer, making this part of the operation even more difficult.
I found that removing the airbox mounting bolts at each side allows some movement rearwards. You need every millimetre you can get!
I removed the intake rubbers from the airbox when fitting the carbs as much to make any adjustments easier, but this gives you the opportunity to mod the airbox rubbers. You will see a double lip where the rubbers seat to the airbox case. I chopped off the internal rubber ring, (Using a Stanley knife). This allows the rubbers to be squeezed past the carbs and seat the rubbers in the airbox. You need plenty of heat and a solid, longish flat head screwdriver to 'ease' things into place.... In other words, it is a struggle, but not that much worse than with the standard carbs.

The other advantages of the BS type are that, one, they only have a pull throttle cable, and the actuating mech. is very easy to locate and fit and, two, the pilot airscrews are on the top of the carb. bodies, making fine tuning sooooo much easier. There are differences in the various BS models. The ones I have modified from the GS650 have vacuum takeoffs on the body for carb. balancing. The GS550 carbs. on mine do not, needing a vacuum take off spigot mounting on the inlet rubbers. These are available on Ebay for a few pounds.
I have noticed differences in the choke bar actuation, too. These GS 650 carbs have a rod operated by a pull knob at the side of the carb body, the gs550 have a central lever action operation, this type marries with the cable operation on the Kat. Not a particular game changer for either type.

This conversion is an easy afternoon job, only the airbox rubbers will cause any swearing, but they do with the standard carbs....
Attachments
20240216_164842.jpg
20240216_164842.jpg

tigcraft

Re: Replacing Mikuni BDST 32 carburettors with type BS 32.

Post by tigcraft » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:36 pm

That’s good reading John, I’m just about to head forward from the back of the bike frame repair to the carbs next although mines the 250 not 400. I’m wondering if I should bypass a service kit and upgrade but what I can upgrade with considering mines a narrow engine?
Old School repairer and magic maker.

johnD

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:26 pm

Hi tigcraft.
Not sure what the carbs are on the 250, I do know its a different engine type, a photo of them might help.
As it is, I am looking for alternatives to the BS32s to fit on the Bandit VC I am working on. It ran great, until the damn carbs started floding... again!
They will need to be slimmer than the BS32's to fit between the frame rails, so it will have to be a slide type carb, now to find a bank somewhere close to the spacing.
Looks like a trawl through the autojumbles at Stafford or Newark to physically inspect any prospects.
Cheers.

tigcraft

Post by tigcraft » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm

These are some pics I’ve got to hand…
Attachments
IMG_2311.png
IMG_2312.png
IMG_2313.png

pookie

Post by pookie » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:33 pm

Best thing you can do to the 250 Kat carbs is replace the o-rings and seals with a viton kit from LiteTek, fitted mine at least eight years ago and the carbs have never given me any grief, the viton protects against the ethanol in the fuel, but you should always use super unleaded in these bikes anyway. Esso supreme super unleaded in the south of England apparently contains no ethanol at all.

tigcraft

Post by tigcraft » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:56 pm

Think I will but I don’t know the reference part number for those carbs. I accurately measured the internal diameter and it comes to 29mm exactly but everything seems to be even numbers on the internet.

johnD

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:04 pm

BDST 28mm. You are stuck with them for the time being so renew gaskets, use E5 and definitely put a fuel filter between carb and tank.

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:35 pm

Hi John,

Thanks so much for this comprehensive post.

Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I've been recovering from an operation.

Do you still have a set of bowls/floats for the 550 carbs that I can buy from you?

Regards,

Dean
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnD

Post by johnD » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:16 pm

hi dean
Have a complete set ready to go. If you can hold off for a few more weeks I'll be able to run up to you and show you how. Either that or rebuild yours. These didnt cost a lot, just time respacing them.
cheers

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Hi John,

I'm in no rush!

Dean
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R