Project Katana

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
cmdrew

Project Katana

Post by cmdrew » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 am

It hasn't as yet been delivered but I've started the hunt for the parts I will need to rebuild my 1100 Katana. The bike was advertised as a project for the brave which I am not - this will be the first big project I have taken on and I expect it to be a complete strip down and rebuild and I expect I will be at least lifting the head off the engine and checking it is all free/serviceable.

The biggest challenge I see though is obtaining the missing bits as the bike has been used as a donor I think and as such I am missing exhausts, headlight, seat, tail fairing at the very least and looking at the pictures a multitude of bolts/brackets and all the fiddly stuff which really increases the cost of a restoration. Even the silly little rubber grommits around the fairing are £40.

First job will be the strip down - hopefully I can sort some garage space as there are 6 bikes in my garage at the moment (not all mine!). I have sourced a seat but would welcome any pointers to any parts available. The seller has provided a petrol tank but it is very beat up so I'll only know if it can be repaired when I see it. There's a big dent on the top of the tank and God only knows what it's like inside!

Nicky Dodds
Club Member

Re: Project Katana

Post by Nicky Dodds » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:05 pm

You can use a Toyota MR2 Mk1 headlight. It only needs some minor mods and you can get either normal, crystal, or smoked crystal if you search the right places. Usually come in pairs obviously so best find a mate who wants one as well. If the tanks dinted but sound then run with it. Could the dint be part pulled out? There's a couple of methods of cleaning the inside so that shouldn't be a problem either. The stuff is out there but don't ditch the tank.
GSX1100SD
GS550MX.....5 year old grandaughter thinks it's hers!

rureddy

Re: Project Katana

Post by rureddy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:44 am

Lots of parts still available from Mother Suzuki