Help with bike ID and year

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
Badgerman
Club Member

Help with bike ID and year

Post by Badgerman » Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi guys - been going round in circles a bit with trying to date my 1100 and establishing the model.

I purchased the bike from a dealer in the UK who had imported it from France. They said it was a 1982 bike but once I looked at the frame and engine numbers (matching the vin plate) I cam to the conclusion that it was an SAE model from 1987 (exactly the same as the SZ 1982 bike apart from black top yoke). I believe this model may have been a Japan only model and it sold in very limited numbers (the French Kat owners club website shows the vin numbers as an SAE). I have been told by the VJMC that after 1980 the bike should have a 17 digit VIN number but mine only has 12 (GS110X-1014**) - the engine also has 12 (GS110X-1742**).

I'm pretty confident it's a 1987 SAE but wondered if anyone can throw some light on the numbers. The bike is all original as far as I can tell and the numbers have definitely not been messed with.

Pictures show bike as I purchased it and before restoration.
Attachments
Suzuki-Katana-Poster_LI.jpg
Kat 4.jpeg
Kat 3.jpeg

fossie
Club Member

Re: Help with bike ID and year

Post by fossie » Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Firstly if it was imported from France it is very unlikely to a Jap market model as getting it registered there would be really difficult , not impossible , but bloody close to it ;) .
So it was more likely imported from Japan to here , then it could easily be the SAE. Has it got a UK plate on it ? If so what reg is it ?
Remember DVLA require the de register paperwork from the original country or a dating letter from VJMC or Suzuki ....but other agencies were available in the the early grey import days and should we say the system isn't as robust as it could be ;)

More importantly does it really matter? As you said parts are the same on these models . :mrgreen:
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Badgerman
Club Member

Post by Badgerman » Thu May 20, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks Fossie - The bike has never been UK registered and I purchased it from from Unit 5 Moto who imported it from France. I lived in France for a while and know what you mean but it is possible with a great deal of work and effort.

The problem is the VIN number being a 101*** which suggests that it's a very early bike (number just after the original Bathurst VIN numbers) to to anyone dating it but it isn't as it has slight differences (cast footpegs, black top yoke etc.). I am trying the VJMC at the moment but all they have come back with so far is that it should have a 17 digit code after 1980.....don't think that's correct.

My only option may be to contact Suzuki and they said it will cost £90 to get a dating certificate from the factory.

Thanks
Jam

Lexdba
Club Member

Post by Lexdba » Thu May 20, 2021 10:50 am

Cast pegs would mean SD so that rules out an early bike I think.
Take a good picture of the passenger pegs mounted on the frame?
It's faster to break than to repair.

Badgerman
Club Member

Post by Badgerman » Thu May 20, 2021 1:18 pm

In the information I can find about the 1987 SAE model, the only main difference between an early bike and this one is the cast pegs (and black top yoke) both of which mine has.

I found a Japanese advertisement online of the SAE.

Thanks for the help guys!
Attachments
gsx1100sae_catalog.jpg

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu May 20, 2021 9:44 pm

It took me nearly 2 years to register my 650 Kat ..completely standard onto French plates !
To be honest in this case I think £90 from Suzuki will be the best option , unless the there is a Carte Gris with a date on it . Then just go with that.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Badgerman
Club Member

Post by Badgerman » Fri May 21, 2021 5:52 am

How do date the wheels from the stamping marks, is there a letter code that relates to the year?

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am

No they are made outsourced and stockpiled. Also dating from items that may not have been the actual originals would be counterproductive.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

PaulD
Club Member

Post by PaulD » Fri May 21, 2021 9:08 am

My bike has a black top yoke :roll:
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am

PaulD wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:08 am
My bike has a black top yoke :roll:
.... and a red tank :lol:
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!