S2 Indicators

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
Kryten
Club Member

Re: S2 Indicators

Post by Kryten » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Blix wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am
Can I remove my indicators and get it MOT'd?
DVLA seem to suggest anything before 1986 doesn't need to have them.
I believe that if they are not fitted then the bike cannot be failed. How far “Not Fitted” will probably depend on your MoT man/woman/person. I would have thought that no lamps would have been enough though. Don’t think you’d need to remove switch and wiring.

I was in the process of responding to you original post last night but got distracted! I’ll see if I can dig out the draft and post it up
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:25 pm

Ok so I'm a bit shaky on this one, as my Kat and all my previous GS/GSX's had fully manumatic switching.

There was a period where the indicators had a control module that if the bike was travelling above a set speed they would auto-cancel after a set time. That's what the control module does. Using a signal from the speedo.

The handlebar switch is non latching and push to cancel on my Speed Trip. Is this the case on the GSX's. My SZ has the standard operation and a lazy relay that works fine most of the time apart from in front of the MoT tester :oops:
Just read to owners manual for the 1100. It's unclear about how the switching works if the self cancelling is fitted. Other than 10 seconds above 15kmh/9.3mph and it'll switch off. But if the the switch is still latched to operate, then it will restart the sequence. Shirley?

Robinsons still list them for the the SD at a discounted price....
Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 18.18.55.png
Jim

1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:53 pm

OK. So looking at the wiring diags. on this forum....

and looking at what you have......

You have the non self cancelling indicator switch. So SZ or any other early 80's GSX.

The connector for the indicator relay has 3 wires, so you may have wiring loom for the self cancelling indicators. So you have Orange/Green (12v feed from a 10A fuse); Light Blue (12v relay switched feed to the handle bar indicator switch); Black/White (Ground/0v).
Somewhere nearby to the relay there might be a 6 way connector possibly even plugged into the control module. Your Speedo/Tacho cluster will need to have the speed sensor wiring fitted as well for the self cancelling to work.

Your relay is the "Common" or "Garden" type relay.

The diagrams suggest that the switches are non latching with a centre push to cancel should you be using the self cancelling wiring and controllers etc. But we can ignore that as you don't have the compatible switch.

So if you haven't lost interest already the the fix is easy!

The wiring diagrams show that for the normal indicator set up to work you need to connect the Orange/Green to the Light Blue using your relay. Ignore the Black/White. So using the 2 pin relay plug it into Orange/Green to Light Blue.

The reason this works is that there is a single 12v feed to the indicators and this is routed via the handle bar switch to the left or right.

Causes for slow, intermittent (other than intended!) or unreliable operation are mainly corrosion in the connectors or switch contacts. Check the bullet connectors to the individual lamps and clean with a bit of wet/dry paper and spray with some contact cleaner especially the rears as they catch all the crud off the rear wheel. Some indicators are 2 wire to the lamp holder, others are a single wire and use a wire crimped to a 10mm ring that gets sandwiched between the bracket and the nut/washer on the indicator stem.

Also battery voltage dropping is a good reason for them not to flash.

Hope this helps!
Jim

1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:54 pm

Blix wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:05 am
Cheers for the info Jim.

So if I wanted to check the system I could short the orange 12v to the light blue wire and actuate the switch, this should light the indicator (no flashing).

Would that work or will it blow a fuse immediately?
Yep that should check each side so long as you don't leave it to long.
Jim

1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:58 pm

Blix wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:26 pm
Cheers, I’ll give it a go, what’s the worst that could happen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best move the petrol tank a few feet away!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

katmarch
Committee Member

Post by katmarch » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:53 pm

The control box is just a bi-metallic switch, when the load of the 2 bulbs pass through it, it heats up bends & breaks the contact, cools re makes the contact, the box should have some rating on it like 2 x 21w, so you need to ensure the correct wattage bulbs are in the indicators, otherwise odd things happen.
indicators.png
indicators.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Steve
KOC 30 My Gallery