ABS retrofit

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
Jonty
Club Member

ABS retrofit

Post by Jonty » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Has anyone fitted ABS to standard 1000 brakes or alternative wheel/brake setup?

stockcar
Club Member

Re: ABS retrofit

Post by stockcar » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm

Do you mean the new or original 1000??
Can't see the point of trying to make it work on an 80's relic, be better off trying to simply improve the std fit set-up

As for the new one then no doubt far less costly to buy it with it already installed if indeed its an option??

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:53 pm

ABS ....on a bike is the work of the F**********devil ..uneven road surfaces at braking areas confuse the system and the lever goes hard .
Paragraph from both * onda & Suzuki owners " remember you have ABS fitted so may need a longer braking distance :o :D "

As Blix said you could lock the rear but you will remember the feeling just before it does ...that's abs but just in the human head mounted black box ..
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 am

Thanks all for input.

I hear so much criticism of Kata braking and tyres and so much talk about ABS on bikes, I wanted to look into it.

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:39 am

There are 3 offs on circuit all with Suzuki V storm ( mines nearly 100.000 another 80, 000 another 50.000 miles , with ABS , the brakes are fine except for bad road surfaced areas ...quite a lot around Manchester , and we all dislike it ...even the newest chap , who actually didn't believe us , but at least we ain't got that bloody out to kill you linked brakes fitted to * onda's .
( in winter mainly , but also filtering )
There isn't actually anything wrong with Kat brakes to be honest when ridden like an 80's bike , the days when rider input was as important performance ....I believe the comments about the brakes are from people who have a more modern machine aswell or borrowed a Kat and have become reliant on the other vehicles ability to do the thinking for the rider , but if that's your thing why have you bought an 80's bike ....
Better design certainly , but if it's to pose buy the Tamiya model .😉😜
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:50 am

fossie wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:39 am
There are 3 offs on circuit all with Suzuki V storm ( mines nearly 100.000 another 80, 000 another 50.000 miles , with ABS , the brakes are fine except for bad road surfaced areas ...quite a lot around Manchester , and we all dislike it ...even the newest chap , who actually didn't believe us , but at least we ain't got that bloody out to kill you linked brakes fitted to * onda's .
( in winter mainly , but also filtering )
There isn't actually anything wrong with Kat brakes to be honest when ridden like an 80's bike , the days when rider input was as important performance ....I believe the comments about the brakes are from people who have a more modern machine aswell or borrowed a Kat and have become reliant on the other vehicles ability to do the thinking for the rider , but if that's your thing why have you bought an 80's bike ....
Better design certainly , but if it's to pose buy the Tamiya model .😉😜
Katana is last bike I rode, so it's all I know, haven't ridden anything newer or since. I find back tyre squirms a bit on motorway lane changes, I worry I use too much front brake, but love the ride, handling, suspension everything, I guess its hearing previous owner go on and on about it handling like a dinosaur, braking and tyres are terrible, you need to ride a new bike etc etc.

I'd been considering wider back tyre and replacing shocks, but to be honest it really all feels ok as is, I like it.

Maybe I'll test ride a new bike with ABS and see what I think some time.

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:09 am

stockcar wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm
Do you mean the new or original 1000??
Can't see the point of trying to make it work on an 80's relic, be better off trying to simply improve the std fit set-up

As for the new one then no doubt far less costly to buy it with it already installed if indeed its an option??
original.

stockcar
Club Member

Post by stockcar » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:51 pm

No idea why you would want to then, a more modern caliper / disc set-up would be far more beneficial or even simply using modern higher spec brake pads

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am

If you want to try some crap brakes, try out an X7. Even a completely refurbished braking system is absolute rubbish. Just give yourself a bit more time and space. If you want to go fast, get a modern bike. I'm not being rude, it's just how old bikes are. You seem to be really happy with your big Kat, so just enjoy it for what it is.

I think a wider rear tyre may make the squirming worse.

I've never ridden an ABS equipped bike, so in my mind I don't need it. However, I do ride very slowly these days!
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R