Electrical accessories

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
Jonty
Club Member

Electrical accessories

Post by Jonty » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm considering some electrical accessories for my Katana 1000 and wondered if anyone knew what the capacity of teh alternator was so I can work out how much electrical stuff I could have.

Considering the following
phone charger
heated handlebars
some form of additional head lighting
GPS
Tracker

Also, has anyone fitted a bus like an hexecan, would be interested to know their experience!

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Re: Electrical accessories

Post by Uncle Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:42 pm

The low power stuff isn't going to be a worry (phone, GPS (isn't that phone again?),tracker).
Heated grips not so sure.
Additional headlighting - is that going to work on a Katana as in look good? IMO I can't see how!
What you could try is the MR2 Crystal lens conversion with a better (LED?) bulb that is meant to be a big improvement. We had a guide somewhere on what to do for that. If interested we can look for it...

UB

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:13 am

Jonty wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:59 pm
I'm considering some electrical accessories for my Katana 1000 and wondered if anyone knew what the capacity of teh alternator was so I can work out how much electrical stuff I could have.

phone charger
heated handlebars
GPS
Tracker

Also, has anyone fitted a bus like an hexecan, would be interested to know their experience!
I have fitted a Healtech Thunderbox power management module to both my Kat and Speed Trip. The Kat is a piece of cake. Connect to the accessory terminals on the fuse holder and fit between the airbox and the rear inner mudguard. The box is then protected by the original fuse. If you connect direct to the battery you still get voltage/current protection of the accessories.

You get 3 different operating modes: Engine running, ignition switched or always off.

The one on my Triumph runs the heated grips no problem.

The one on the Kat ran the Garmin, right up to the point that the youngest son “borrowed” it when he went back up to Leeds :roll: I’ve now gone down the much less intrusive Beeline route.

Healtech do a USB module as well that connects to the Thunderbox.

All the blurb is here.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

Upgraded lighting is as UB says; MR2 Crystal aftermarket lamp unit, I run a Phillips Nightbreaker H4 lamp in mine and it is well up to the job. If you add a decent LED H4 replacement then you will end up with a headlight that’s fantastic but might get you angry flashes from car drivers. Especially if the spread is not well defined.

I have used a Cyclops LED lamp that was excellent but a) expensive and b) described as “ferocious” by a fellow Kat owner :lol:
Bear in mind that I live in Norfolk and we’ve only just got rid of the last Town Gas Street Lights, so most of the county is good if you’re into stargazing :lol: :lol:

Other than that it’s the Denali type lamps that you need to sort brackets and additional wiring/relays
IMG_20191113_105846232.jpg

Tracker? Not fitted one the Monimoto seems to be popular.

https://monimoto.com/

Anything to do with CanBus on the Kat is a waste, they’re purely analogue :D

Note: I’m getting any rewards for mentioning these products!
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 pm

Kryten wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:13 am
Jonty wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:59 pm

phone charger
heated handlebars
GPS
Tracker

I have fitted a Healtech Thunderbox power management module to both my Kat and Speed Trip. The Kat is a piece of cake. Connect to the accessory terminals on the fuse holder and fit between the airbox and the rear inner mudguard. The box is then protected by the original fuse. If you connect direct to the battery you still get voltage/current protection of the accessories.

You get 3 different operating modes: Engine running, ignition switched or always off.

The one on my Triumph runs the heated grips no problem.

The one on the Kat ran the Garmin, right up to the point that the youngest son “borrowed” it when he went back up to Leeds :roll: I’ve now gone down the much less intrusive Beeline route.

Healtech do a USB module as well that connects to the Thunderbox.

All the blurb is here.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

Upgraded lighting is as UB says; MR2 Crystal aftermarket lamp unit, I run a Phillips Nightbreaker H4 lamp in mine and it is well up to the job. If you add a decent LED H4 replacement then you will end up with a headlight that’s fantastic but might get you angry flashes from car drivers. Especially if the spread is not well defined.

I have used a Cyclops LED lamp that was excellent but a) expensive and b) described as “ferocious” by a fellow Kat owner :lol:
Bear in mind that I live in Norfolk and we’ve only just got rid of the last Town Gas Street Lights, so most of the county is good if you’re into stargazing :lol: :lol:

Other than that it’s the Denali type lamps that you need to sort brackets and additional wiring/relays

IMG_20191113_105846232.jpg

Tracker? Not fitted one the Monimoto seems to be popular.

https://monimoto.com/

Anything to do with CanBus on the Kat is a waste, they’re purely analogue :D

Thanks for info, I was interested in capacity so I could know how much stuff I could run. Does the MR2 conversion mean any mullering of the fairing?

I've already got a monimoto, wanted biketrac as well.

I returned my beeline, just too many wrong turns, how are you getting on with it?

Note: I’m getting any rewards for mentioning these products!

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm

No MR2 headlight conversion needs the MR2 headlight modified slightly (removal of some of the plastic around the corners I believe from memory so it fits the frame), but then it's a straight swap for the Kat headlight.

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:09 pm

Blix wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 am
Headlight mod

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8149
Cheers Blix - I should have remembered it was you you did that as I bought the other one of the pair you purchased!

Silverrider

Post by Silverrider » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Hi Everyone
I need a replacement wiring harness for a 83 1100 Kat can anyone help ?
Does anyone know if a replacement is still available .

Cheers Guys

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:30 am

I can't get you one, but part numbers for the main harness are:

36610-49300 - Z
36610-49330 - D
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm

Smallkat wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:30 am
I can't get you one, but part numbers for the main harness are:

36610-49300 - Z
36610-49330 - D
z loom is wrapped in silver heat shrink, d loom is wrapped in black heat shrink. otherwise, pretty much the same loom.
My Gallery

KOC 004

spiritof67

Post by spiritof67 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:23 pm

I have been reading the testimony about using a Toyota car heeadlamp in a Katana. I replaved my standard headlamp with a Candlepower unit that fit right in ans is a really good headlamp -- and myy experience with car headlamps on motorcycles is that their spread was wrong, didn't properly light corners, etc. As a matter of fact, back when cars used real headlamps I used to replace the CAR headlamps....with similar sized motorcycle ones. So what's the real story on these car headlamps?