Electrical accessories

For discussion for any of the above bikes.
Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Re: Electrical accessories

Post by Uncle Bob » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 am

Blix wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 am
Headlight mod
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8149
Here's the guide in our forum - everyone who's done this seems to be very happy.

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:58 pm

not a standard headlight. use an aftermarket light for an mr2 thats sold as a crystal headlight. its easy to spot cos it has a clear lens and the reflector on the back is the bit thats angled. couple this with an led lamp and youve got something a lot safer than the stock light setup.
My Gallery

KOC 004

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:18 pm

johnr wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:58 pm
not a standard headlight. use an aftermarket light for an mr2 thats sold as a crystal headlight. its easy to spot cos it has a clear lens and the reflector on the back is the bit thats angled. couple this with an led lamp and youve got something a lot safer than the stock light setup.
Could you explain about this crystal headlight bit?

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:20 pm

Kryten wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:13 am
Jonty wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:59 pm
I'm considering some electrical accessories for my Katana 1000 and wondered if anyone knew what the capacity of teh alternator was so I can work out how much electrical stuff I could have.

Considering the following
phone charger
heated handlebars
some form of additional head lighting
GPS
Tracker

Also, has anyone fitted a bus like an hexecan, would be interested to know their experience!
I have fitted a Healtech Thunderbox power management module to both my Kat and Speed Trip. The Kat is a piece of cake. Connect to the accessory terminals on the fuse holder and fit between the airbox and the rear inner mudguard. The box is then protected by the original fuse. If you connect direct to the battery you still get voltage/current protection of the accessories.

You get 3 different operating modes: Engine running, ignition switched or always off.

The one on my Triumph runs the heated grips no problem.

The one on the Kat ran the Garmin, right up to the point that the youngest son “borrowed” it when he went back up to Leeds :roll: I’ve now gone down the much less intrusive Beeline route.

Healtech do a USB module as well that connects to the Thunderbox.

All the blurb is here.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

Upgraded lighting is as UB says; MR2 Crystal aftermarket lamp unit, I run a Phillips Nightbreaker H4 lamp in mine and it is well up to the job. If you add a decent LED H4 replacement then you will end up with a headlight that’s fantastic but might get you angry flashes from car drivers. Especially if the spread is not well defined.

I have used a Cyclops LED lamp that was excellent but a) expensive and b) described as “ferocious” by a fellow Kat owner :lol:
Bear in mind that I live in Norfolk and we’ve only just got rid of the last Town Gas Street Lights, so most of the county is good if you’re into stargazing :lol: :lol:

Other than that it’s the Denali type lamps that you need to sort brackets and additional wiring/relays

IMG_20191113_105846232.jpg

Tracker? Not fitted one the Monimoto seems to be popular.

https://monimoto.com/

Anything to do with CanBus on the Kat is a waste, they’re purely analogue :D

Note: I’m getting any rewards for mentioning these products!
Could you tell me more about the cyclops LED kit?

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:03 pm

All the way from the States via Cardiff!

Like I said they were expensive, but now v expensive. However I did try a few others (mostly generic/weird brand Chinese stuff) that were very disappointing due to ill defined spread that would annoy oncoming drivers who flash their headlights and f-up your night vision, or fail an MoT, or be generally no F-in use whatsoever.

The standard H4 doesn’t seem to be available anymore so you can only get the new super dooper improved more expensive version.

If that hasn’t put you off they are very good though.

https://sportouring.com/product-categor ... uct-page=2

There is someone else selling LED’s for classic bikes I’ll see if I can find his name/details
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:18 pm

Jonty wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:18 pm
johnr wrote:
It's an aftermarket part for a Toyota MR2, crystal is just the name of the type of light. It's got a better beam pattern than a stock lamp.
My Gallery

KOC 004

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:58 am

johnr wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:18 pm
Jonty wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:18 pm
johnr wrote:
It's an aftermarket part for a Toyota MR2, crystal is just the name of the type of light. It's got a better beam pattern than a stock lamp.
Thanks John, so its not just an MR2 headlight, its an aftermarket one by another manufacturer?

I was looking on Ebay at MR2 headlights but assume I would have to look for something different then?

What is better about the beam pattern?

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:04 pm

you can see the road in front of you.
My Gallery

KOC 004