A tech too far!

All things for the 2019 v3 Katana
fossie
Club Member

A tech too far!

Post by fossie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Ok so this is an observation and a question .....The question first...is this feature one of the most useless piece of tech .

This DL I have as a work bike has basically the same dashboard as the new Katana ...tech wise.
At the moment we are in a heatwave .....I know that because I'm riding a motorcycle. :lol:
However a feature of this dashboard is the outside temperature ..why. what can I do about this information, I mean to be able to access this info, I'm already on the bike! In the winter apparently a snowflake appears to let the rider know it's cold.....doh!

In the words of Ian Dury 1978 ..."what a waste"
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

PaulD
Club Member

Re: A tech too far!

Post by PaulD » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:30 am

It also has a bit of tech your works Bandit used to use, it works very well too.
What is this amazing bit of techwizzardary?
The ability to detect hard working lorry drivers trying to have their dinner :lol:

Oh and no I wasn’t asleep :roll:
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

Pedda
Club Member

Post by Pedda » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Modern vehicles are full of nice-to-haves these days. A possible translation of nice to have is wtf.

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:03 pm

you need to locate the temperature sender, disconnect the wires, get a new sensor and connect it to the now loose wiring. then when you get your lunchtime pie, the pop the sensor in the bag with the pie, and keep an eye on the display so it will tell you when its ready!........

realistically, im guessing the outside air temp is one of the measurements needed by the ecu in order to tell the fuel injection what mixture to inject, the hotter the air, then the thinner it is, thus less oxygen, so less fuel required to run properly. this is why your bike always seems to run better on a cold morning.
My Gallery

KOC 004

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:07 pm

of course, if your bike starts running worse as your pie gets up to temperature, then you will know that its what it does.....
My Gallery

KOC 004

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Aha now I see why modern cars etc have them fitted .....makes sense ....and as for for the pie temp idea genius!!
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery