Merde!!!!

A place to kick back and talk about anything and everything.
fossie
Club Member

Merde!!!!

Post by fossie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:27 pm

Some years ago ..more than I thought to honest, I bored you but hopefully amused you with the process of registering one of my 650's on French plates as it resides there... :)
In summary because there is no MOT and tax on motorcycles in France all I had to do is insure it. :roll:

Sadly due partly to the French centralising everything ( privatising is a more honest phrase ...**Mr Macron you should have looked over the water first mate**) Motorcycles will now need an MOT or CT (control technique) by April 15 2024 ...bit short notice for me as I found out a few days ago ( That will be on me partly but my insurance should have let me know ...as all vehicle must be insured continuosly I have been with then from day 1..) :x

So as it's over 30 years old I can apply for a vehicle of historic interest status ..the Kat fits as it's no longer made , it's original spec, then it would only need a CT every 5 years ..The test is much like our MOT but E numbers are important on lenses etc..and costs what ever the inspector charges , the recommondation is 50 euros but it is important to agree the fee first ..
There will be 6000 CT centres that do M/Cs in France ..( look at the size of the place).
To get this status I need to get a letter from Suzuki France ..again or from their version of VJMC ...at 80 euro's then send off the forms to receive more forms .. total cost much the same as the original registering and with the same complication I shouldn't wonder.
So there is a grace period as my bike is made before 2007 and thats August 15 2024.. and just getting a CT will be 50 euros give or take and a retest every 3 years ..

Is the answer, bring it home re-register it on UK plates and put it on historic class then for legal reasons take it back to France when I'm gonna use it in the Taliban bus.. ( It'll only be insured for 30 days ) but won't cost tax or MOT ..
Now I know bringing a vehicle from EU to UK ain't easy anymore , but I found hidden in HMRC text that there is a form to bring in a vehicle that was previously registered in UK back and shouldn't cost . I just need to find out from DVLA if I'd get my old Registration number back , so No fee from them . Maybe reissue of V5 fee.
My only issue is that I won't be able to ride it home , no CT no insurance ..once this side ..No V5 ...so put it in the Taliban bus is the option though it will mean taking off the wheels and sliding it up a ramp I need to make as it's a tad too tall for this bus..doable though!

I'll let you know ,
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Pedda
Club Member

Re: Merde!!!!

Post by Pedda » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:11 pm

Gosh, you must really love that bike. I‘d store it as long as it takes and try and get me something similar in France in the meantime.

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:50 pm

The only reason this bike resides in France really is because I have no where else to store it, So you kinda read between the lines as per it's residence after it is sorted .
As for buying something similar in France , I couldn't afford to .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54 pm

Break it for spares and then put the money towards a bike?
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 pm

I don't need to break a perfectly good machine and I don't need anymore bikes I've got 8 Katana's.!!
Breaking just means holding parts for years selling to people who reckon it's tooo much anyway ..but you know that eh? :D
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery