Katana clutch problem

From a simple dustcap to a full on turbo-nitrous breathing monster.
If you have any questions, here's the place to ask.
Mac13
Club Member

Re: Katana clutch problem

Post by Mac13 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi Blix,
Really appreciate the offer, I am not doing so well at the moment. Just parked the bike hopefully get myself sorted soon.
Cheers
Mac

Mac13
Club Member

Post by Mac13 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:40 am

Hi All,
Someone in the past mentioned the wrong handlebar levers, I checked the parts list and all looked original. Process of elimination, the handlebar lever was next. Got a lever for an old GS and with a ting bit of fettling fitted.
Now for the big moment! Bike running (off centre stand), clutch in, and bike into gear. Stalled!
On the centre stand, bike running, clutch in, into gear and the back wheels spin. Can slow the back wheel with the brake but can feel the engine want to stall.
Feels similar if not a little better when I fully adjusted the clutch previously.

Blix when you decide to strip your clutch if ok I would like to make a comparison to the one from your bike.

Thank you for everyone help, appreciate that.

Regards
Mac

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Any news Mac?
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

Mac13
Club Member

Post by Mac13 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am

Hi Smallkat.
I have parked to bike against the wall and left it stripped. Bought a NOS actuator, but think no difference. I think that I have all the correct parts, but cannot be 100% sure. Moving towards seeking an expert who can hopefully identify the problem and fix it for me. Been a shit 6 months. Not seen my wife at that time, she had to return hope for an operation. Thank God all ok and she will be home soon.
I am just at a loss what is wrong or has been changed in the bikes past? Don't know????
Anyway thanks for the message.
Regards

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your wife but glad she will be back soon.

I know from experience that it is so frustrating to have a fault and not be able to sort it, despite constant attempts.

Perhaps now lockdown is easing, someone knowledgeable can get round to you.

I know it's shit, but try to keep smiling. As my wife said when I thought I had lost my irreplaceable X5 parts "at least no-one died".
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Mon May 17, 2021 8:56 am

John Martin just had a similar issue with his Charity Katana rebuild and it is fixed now, here's a screen shot of part of the post - not sure if your issue will be the same or not...
kat-clutch.JPG
UB

FBJ
Club Member

Post by FBJ » Mon May 17, 2021 2:25 pm

There was about 0.6mm difference

Mac13
Club Member

Post by Mac13 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi Uncle Bob,
Is the problem the bearing that fits into the Primary Driven Gear? There is a spacer and the bearing between the spacer and the primary driven gear. I checked the condition of one on my bike and all seemed good. What is John etc referring to when measuring this bearing? What exactly are they measuring? Seems such a small tolerance they are talking about?
Sorry about my ignorance.

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 pm

I'm not sure, I'm only passing on the info I saw in the post as John had a similar issue. I'm not sure what measurement the 3.06mm and 3.7mm refer to. you'll have to ask John.

Basically if you haven't seen he's just restored a Katana as a charity build ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/167716501327189 ) and when he put the clutch back together as he has spares (from various GSX's of the era) he used the best parts he had, but as it turned out the part he shows in the picture he thought was the same was in fact 0.6mm difference and that was enough for the clutch to lock.

You can see the thread in the Charity Bike Build on FB as linked above, then you'll see the post and can ask. BTW FBJ on here is John (he did post just after the one I did with the screen shot).

That might not be your issue but thought it was worth passing on...

UB

Mac13
Club Member

Post by Mac13 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi,
I have just been messaging John Martin on FB. He really nice bloke and has suggested things I need to check.

Uncle Bob I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Regards
Dan