Rusty tank

From a simple dustcap to a full on turbo-nitrous breathing monster.
If you have any questions, here's the place to ask.
Tonykat
Club Member

Rusty tank

Post by Tonykat » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:16 am

Hi, just got myself an XN85 and the tank has some rust inside, it’s not too bad but better now than later to clean it. My question is, can I leave the fuel gauge sender in when using Rostio tank rust remover and then Rostio tank sealer?

Kryten
Club Member

Re: Rusty tank

Post by Kryten » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:49 pm

Well I have not used Rostio before, but my initial thought would be that it could cause problems with the fuel sender. Both the remover and the sealer.

So I would look at removing it and closing up the hole with a made up plastic cover. If the bolt holes are tapped through into the tank, I’d put bolts in all of them as well.

Photo’s and a write up for “The Pride” would be good as well :) :)
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

pookie

Re: Rusty tank

Post by pookie » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm

If the rust isn't that bad, instead of sealing it (and with more ethanol in pump fuel things will only get worse with tank sealer) my tank had a small patch of surface rust under the filler hole after the paint shop took months to finish the job so I used a product called Evaporust, it removed every trace of the rust and even cleaned up the rest of the tank so it looked like new, you can leave the sender in the tank as it will not damage it, it can be reused as well and is environmentally friendly so you can tip it down the drain if you want.