Hi from South Wales

If you're new to the forum, why not stop off here and say a bit about yourself.
Rhek555
Club Member

Hi from South Wales

Post by Rhek555 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm

just a quick post to say hello.

I have 1982 GS650g in need of some work. Bought a shed for her so decided time to start on getting on the road. Just joined so will be searching forum for information and asking questions.

First of many questions best tyres for a 1982 GS650G (and best place to buy them)?

sorry two questions already :D

cheers

Rob

fossie
Club Member

Re: Hi from South Wales

Post by fossie » Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Welcome aboard, bought a shed for the bike ....I normally buy a shed for the garage! ;)
Anyway best tyres are Bridgestone BT45 , there are others but BT45 give best milage and road condition wear.

Now you say a GS650G, this is what is written on a jap import model , others just have the katana logo. I only ask because there are differences between Jap import and the rest.
Eitherway we'll sort it.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Hello and welcome.

I would have said BT45 as well (have these on one of my 1100's and the 400) but that tyre is being replaced by Bridgestone with the BT46:
https://www.bridgestone.com/products/mo ... ail/pr176/

Could mean some cheaper BT45 deals out there or you might just want to go with more modern technology with the BT46.

Where to get? I guess your 2 options are either buy online (just Google the sizes to bring up places like https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk, https://www.oponeo.co.uk, etc.) and then have to pay someone to put it on or if you have a decent shop near by that will fit free if you buy from them. You'll have work out what is the best option for you.

In Norwich where I am, I have a local tyre place that does car and motorcycle tyres only, who will fit for free ride in / out service (or loose wheels if you prefer while you wait, pre-booked) - https://www.norwich-tyrescentre.co.uk - I only put their web address there so you can see what type of place they are.

Thanks

UB

Rhek555
Club Member

Post by Rhek555 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi both thank you for replies

had to buy a shed as I have a 1935 rover P1 in garage that I acquired for full restoration.
GS650G is what it says on v5 as part of frame number, it was registered in uk 16/08/1982 also date of first registration. it has choke in middle of yoke, so to speak.it has been painted red!! but I want it back to original silver.

thanks
Rob

Hully
Club Member

Post by Hully » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:58 am

Now you say a GS650G, this is what is written on a jap import model , others just have the katana logo. I only ask because there are differences between Jap import and the rest.
Eitherway we'll sort it.

This is interesting me as I have just acquired my first Katana which is originaly a Japanese import on a UK 1998/1999 F reg plate. I ddn't know 650 Katanas where as new as that.
Any way of checking it's actual age? frame states GS650 111285 and engine number GS650 12509

Thanx. Darren from Hull.
Darren AKA Hully

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 pm

As Blix said ...DVLA form to register isn't too obvious about first registered date , so people put in the date it was imported to UK ...which in your case tallies with the grey import height .
The engine numbers on Suzuki don't tally with frames and in any case should never be used to establish reg date , it my be a replacement .
The best way to date it is ..fuel gauge and anti dive on forks ..if it has its GZ 1983 , if it hasn't its 1982 GX .
Differences between jap import and non are simple ... 550 forks .seat is 1 and 1/2 inches shorter , no oil cooler .
Oh if it has non snowflake wheels ..as in kinda 3 spoke hobbies it's a very later last model 1984 .
The G by the way means shaft drive .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Hully
Club Member

Post by Hully » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi again, aye, it has a fuel gauge top of the clock set, choke on left handlebar worked by my thumb, anti dive forks. It does not have an oil cooler. I was/am hoping to get date verified/atered/changed as I think a classic bike needs its authentic year/reg. Also road tax etc etc.

So does it have same forks as 550? as I will be after one of the lower yoke elongated suzuki badges.

Cheers guys (and girls).
Darren AKA Hully

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:47 pm

I think this thread has morphed into 2 but...
The problem you may have with getting historic status is that the post office who deal with this on behalf of DVLA can only go off the V5 ....
Many v5's are wrong about date of first registration but they have age related plates because the person filling in the form had the log book from the original country so new the year of manufacture and filled that bit in correctly .
Case in point a 650 imported from Germany declared registered overseas ..registered 2017 , but manufactured 1982 according to DE logbook ....so on X plate ...can't be historic until 1983 to be certain of after 1 Jan .82 ... Because it has an X plate .....however if the paperwork is filled in wrong and you've got an F 1988 plate ...getting a dating letter will not get another registration number as that frame has got one allotted ....you could be in danger of a Q plate ...game over!!
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Hully
Club Member

Post by Hully » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 am

Right, so best if I accept what’s already sorted. A Q plate is not an option to me.
Darren AKA Hully

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 am

Hully wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 am
Right, so best if I accept what’s already sorted. A Q plate is not an option to me.
At the moment I believe it's the best option , I personally as said don't see how unless it's a personal plate ...(.but it couldn't be because it's newer than the build date ) that DVLA could reissue another reg number to that frame number ....otherwise cloning would be legal!
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery