Hello from the Scottish Borders

If you're new to the forum, why not stop off here and say a bit about yourself.
TimScotland

Hello from the Scottish Borders

Post by TimScotland » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Late fifties with a hard won paunch, still riding bikes but longing for my old bike again

In ‘85 I sold my from new katana 1000, something I should never have done, however needs must. Since then I have abandoned the great smoke, gotten hitched, spawned three beautiful girls (2 of which ride themselves and the last plays pillion) and acquired a strange taste for 2000s Ducatis!

But I still miss the old girl. The only bike I ever purchased new. KGT835Y. The number I will still remember when they put me in a box

If there is anyone who can cope with a Ducati Sport Touring being the company who wants to play around the borders once the warmer weather comes around I would be most grateful

Take care

Tim

Kryten
Club Member

Re: Hello from the Scottish Borders

Post by Kryten » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Welcome aboard!

There is a connection between North Norfolk and the Borders.... 8-)

Good luck with your search for your old Kat.

Also, you never know, there might be another Scottish Camping Weekend in the not too distant future. There is always the “Naughty Corner” for motorcycles that are not Katanas :D
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 am

Hi and welcome along....we all have strange habits ..but 2000 on Ducati's .....there will be a cure I'm sure ... Occasionally we get to do a weekend in Jockland so maybe we'll be able to help out...

Good luck with the search .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

PaulD
Club Member

Post by PaulD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:35 pm

You think you've got problems? I love two strokes :roll: I do however have a Kat so they put up with me on here.
Welcome to the mad house :lol:
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

geekay
Club Member

Post by geekay » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am

Welcome. Wonderful area you live in.
One of our favourite "Border Raids" was to ride from West Yorkshire to the Borders and back, in 12 hours.
Route was A1 North to A68, just over the Border we hived off to Bonchester Bridge, on to Hawick, Selkirk, Peebles before stopping at Moffat for lunch outside an old coaching inn. Then on to St Mary's Loch, stopping for an ice cream at Cappercleuch, back via Selkirk, Hawick to Bonchester Bridge, where we cut down through Kielder and back to West Yorkshire.
Most memorable ride was chasing a guy along the road from Moffat to Selkirk. I was on my Hayabusa, he was riding a Ducati ST2. Wasn't you, was it? :D
Suzuki RF900 RS2
Suzuki GSX750S Katana / Kettle mongrel
Suzuki V4 500cc 2 stroke
Suzuki XR11/73 track bike
Suzuki GSX250F Across
Suzuki TDRGV 250
Suzuki K11P
Suzuki OR50 Mame Tan
Triumph T575 Steam Triple
Triumph X75 Oh!
Kram-It RV250 Enduro

Bikeazoid
Club Member

Post by Bikeazoid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Our "Border Raids" are to dip into Mexico, you can get away with all kinds of fun stuff down there that you would put you in cuffs in the US. Now that I'm married, most of that is off the table now. Border crossing takes about 3 hours in a car and about 15 minutes on a cycle.

Splitting lanes is allowed in California and a few other states and since Mexico is the wild west and unless you are riding with a flame thrower dragging a baby you wont get pulled over. Splitting lanes is why border crossing is so fast on a cycle. Come to think of it, can you do that in the UK?

Come to think of that point, I think I may have spoken of this before, but I had a Motorcyclist magazine (Like Bike there) that had a huge write up (article) on this courier contest in London. Where a ton of couriers would do this big test thing, navigating, obstacles, slow minovures and the like. I remember there was this hot chick that was on what looked like a Honda CX 650, the one with the side ways V twin.

Sorry for rambling, this is my only social media :)
82 Katana 1000 (work in progress, but she will be beautiful she has a dedicated sugar daddy)
2010 Z1000 (50k miles, I think that is like 60 Kilometer's or so)

www.CreepyKat.com
www.thepryorhouse.com

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Yes, lane splitting (filtering) is OK here. You do get the odd driver getting upset (or try to block) but (at least where I live) most are OK.

The only place I have been where it is illegal was Germany, though to EK8 in Denmark we did filter though some drivers will actively try and block you and get very andry indeed! On the way back we did have a monster tail back around Bremem (must have been at least 10km) and we did pass quite a few German bikers just sitting there in the traffic while we just filtered. We did have 1 very angry guy in an AMG Mercedes try it on briefly. I think the fine is about €100 if the police catch you.

In France and Italy if a driver sees you in the mirrors they will actively try to move to the side to let you pass (in my experience).

UB

Lexdba
Club Member

Post by Lexdba » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 am

My boot once made a nice imprint in the door of an Audi....
It's faster to break than to repair.

Nicky Dodds
Club Member

Post by Nicky Dodds » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm

geekay wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am
Welcome. Wonderful area you live in.
One of our favourite "Border Raids" was to ride from West Yorkshire to the Borders and back, in 12 hours.
Route was A1 North to A68, just over the Border we hived off to Bonchester Bridge, on to Hawick, Selkirk, Peebles before stopping at Moffat for lunch outside an old coaching inn. Then on to St Mary's Loch, stopping for an ice cream at Cappercleuch, back via Selkirk, Hawick to Bonchester Bridge, where we cut down through Kielder and back to West Yorkshire.
Most memorable ride was chasing a guy along the road from Moffat to Selkirk. I was on my Hayabusa, he was riding a Ducati ST2. Wasn't you, was it? :D
That's 400 territory!
GSX1100SD
GS550MX.....5 year old grandaughter thinks it's hers!

Bikeazoid
Club Member

Post by Bikeazoid » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:21 am

"Filtering", I love it!!
82 Katana 1000 (work in progress, but she will be beautiful she has a dedicated sugar daddy)
2010 Z1000 (50k miles, I think that is like 60 Kilometer's or so)

www.CreepyKat.com
www.thepryorhouse.com