Well wasn't going to be!

Working on a nut and bolt restoration, or just a lick of paint.
Post your pictures and stories in here.
fossie
Club Member

Well wasn't going to be!

Post by fossie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:17 am

So the little 250 has returned to this address after I parted with some scheckles.
Why? Well I've got a sword of water t shirt but no water cooled Kat anymore :oops:
Now Steve had spent his time getting it running and starting ok. Hence my speckle parting.

I ordered a battery for it and found the fuel leak we noticed, it was from the elbow on no tap. Just bought a new tap. Plan was to drain fuel from carbs , when battery arrives attach remote tank prime new fuel through and bruuuuum or whinnnnnnng as these things go.

Ahh the float bowls are on the wrong way round can't get to drain screws! :( :? 1&2 face left 3&4 face right. My hands are too big to get the Allen screws ...... :x CARBS OFF, :roll: :twisted:
Now once inside the float cradles are loose so would've flooded anyway. The little o rings are swelled up and not in the hole .....gonna have to order some.
While we wait for them there is the matter of broken speedo needle, sticking brakes, :ugeek:
May aswell ........ :roll: But believe me paint ain't on the list the scratches can be filled in with some air fix black model paint I have. :geek: .
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

PaulD
Club Member

Re: Well wasn't going to be!

Post by PaulD » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

I spotted this over the weekend at the Cheshire Kats home :lol: it’s an interesting little thing, very tiny and will make a cracking back lane scratcher when it’s up & running. But come on Fossie it deserves a proper paint job surely?
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

I would have treated it to a full restore just to annoy the hell out of you! Oh, well it might find it's way over this way if Smand doesn't ride it. Then I can sell back to you at twice the price (that seems to be the way doesn't it?)...
I still can;t work out how the needle got the way it did.

If you are going to do the O Rings, do yourself a favour and get the viton Litetek kit. It really isn't much money posted to the door.

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Yep gonna order the kit you mentioned in another post , though it got confusing with other links to reason why ..... My screen patience is less than my appetite for restoring stuff, bu I'll have a look again.
Basically this machine will be serviced, cleaned up to presentable and ridden , anything other will involve bits taken off and left until a better time turns up......it won't . "Kats are (for) life not just polishing".

But option 2 is"...........
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 pm

For you...

https://litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Suzuki_GSX250_Katana.html

Kit A and if you are doing it get then maybe Kit B but just use the Fuel Seal and Choke Plunger Caps as easy to do, but the throttle shaft bits are a PITA!

UB

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Cheers.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

katmarch
Committee Member

Post by katmarch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 pm

fossie wrote: Now Steve had spent his time getting it running and starting ok. Hence my speckle parting.

Ahh the float bowls are on the wrong way round can't get to drain screws! :( :? 1&2 face left 3&4 face right. My hands are too big to get the Allen screws :geek: .

Doh, as I reassembled I turned the bank round to hold them still better, obviously didn't spin the bowl before refitting, never thought they would go on the wrong way, the 1100's won't.

Sorry. (I have had it running promise)
KOC 30 My Gallery

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Steve mate! Not an issue really, any half decent mechanic would as a matter of course would have just ripped the carbs off and all the other bits that need to be done. Especially as this machine has stood so long.
However it came into the hands of a half arsed mechanic, who is led by fate and so the jobs will end up being done anyway. ( Not the paintwork though!). Patina don't you know?
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Complete kit ordered ..£58.76 incl post , cheaper than even a few bits of original kit. & shouldn't mishape.
Last edited by fossie on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

pookie

Post by pookie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm

The litetek kit is one of the best things that I've bought for my 250, four years on and no carb problems (maybe I shouldn't have said that) super unleaded fuel was a good move as well.