Easy popup panniers

Working on a nut and bolt restoration, or just a lick of paint.
Post your pictures and stories in here.
SamK
Site Admin

Easy popup panniers

Post by SamK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:51 pm

If any of you remember my previous popup with the top box fitted, you’ll know I like simple solutions... couple of holes, couple of spacers, done..

So I was thinking about how to fit panniers with a discreet system.

I have a set of Givi E22 boxes on my Harley using the SW-Motech SLC system. This is a relatively small mounting frame, but obviously, has to be bike specific.
After trawling through the SW-Motech online store, I’d decided to give the Harley Softail Street Bob frames a go.

This is the frame-

Quite narrow mounting points, flat and symmetrical.
It should fit nicely on the under seat rails.

Tools required - Image

I reckoned the rear mount should be just before the rail turns in.

Small pilot hole -

Big hole -

Done -

Then the front is just the same, and easy to line up if the rear is done first -

The SLC carrier has an optional mounting plate, but I found it easier to attach the mounting hardware directly to the box -

Bear in mind the mounting bracket on the box is positioned for my Harley. When I transfer them permanently I’ll tweak the position a little -

It’s taken me longer to write this post than do the job..

SamK
Site Admin

Re: Easy popup panniers

Post by SamK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Both sides done...

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks for write up Sam. Now you have the extra luggage space where are you off to?

BTW, flying into Malaga on the 11th for a few days riding around Andalusia on Enfields! Going to be with my 3 brothers and 2 nephews. Looking forward to hopefully some decent weather.

fossie
Club Member

Post by fossie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Just too neat !
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:10 am

ok, can i throw a spanner in the works? that looks neat, but how are they secured? is that tube you drilled in any way structural to the frame? just drilling a hole through the frame rail and bolting through isnt a solution that i would call safe, drilling the hole weakens the tube, tightening the bolt through thee frame without anything to prevent the frame crushing will weaken the frame considerably at that point. carrying any weight in the panniers or a pillion on the bike puts stresses on the frame that it might be too weak to now support. id have drilled the holes through the frame then put a bush through the frame and welded it in place. that way, tightening the bolt wont crush the frame tube, and weight on the pillion seat wont be concentrated on a weak spot because the bush will reinforce the frame.
My Gallery

KOC 004

PaulD
Club Member

Post by PaulD » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:54 am

My thoughts exactly John, you jumped right in where I didn’t want to put my foot in it. Not like me at all
There rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KOC member 453

SamK
Site Admin

Post by SamK » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 am

Very good points..
The black rail is not a stressed frame and is attached to the rear subframe at 2 points.
The only point of that rail, that I can think of, is for a grab point when lifting onto the centre stand... but then they put it on both sides. Maybe to bungee luggage?

Tightening the bolts went beyond the settings of my torque wrench and there were no visible signs of crushing. It’s quite a solid rail.
There’s a 10mm hole through it (m10 bolts), with a 20mm o/d on the pannier frame. That give a reasonably large overlap.

Here’s the top box mount I had previously -

There’s only a single box, but with the leverage of the rails, it’s probably on par with a couple of side cases.
There were never any issues with a fully loaded top box.

I am fairly confident they’ll stay in place, but I’ll probably strap them together across the rear seat when fully loaded.
The pannier mount to the frames is more secure than the Givi single clasp.

The eventual plan is to open the outside hole to 20mm to sink the pannier frames in a bit more and then have them welded in place.
But I need to find a good welder near Alicante

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:23 pm

ok. it wasnt a criticism, just a concern. if its not structural then fair enough. i dont really know the architecture of the pop up.
My Gallery

KOC 004

Berti44
Club Member

Post by Berti44 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Great write up thanks for sharing. I have an SE too and yep they aren’t a structural feature of the bike.
I have some canvas BLAZE throw overs that require a rod sliding into the side of it to prevent it catching on the tail piece etc. Now you’ve given me an idea 👍

Bikeazoid
Club Member

Post by Bikeazoid » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Looks great, I like the top trunk stuff best, we here in CA are allowed to split lanes (go between the cars on the road), most states it's illegal, so the trop trunk keeps us skinnier here. Are you allowed to to that there in the UK?

When I have to work in LA I always take my Zed to make a 3 hour commute 1 hour.
82 Katana 1000 (work in progress, but she will be beautiful she has a dedicated sugar daddy)
2010 Z1000 (50k miles, I think that is like 60 Kilometer's or so)

www.CreepyKat.com
www.thepryorhouse.com