Resin Corse

Working on a nut and bolt restoration, or just a lick of paint.
Post your pictures and stories in here.
BigLT
Club Member

Re: Resin Corse

Post by BigLT » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 pm

Recently I have been mainly...

My main achievement has been rebuilding the LHS switchgear. Needed the horn wiring soldering etc. I even managed to get that ball annoying indicator-centring ball-bearing in - after firing 5 others around the garage somewhere in the process.

Filled, smoothed and painted tank. (I'd show a pic, but its just a white tank!)

Making small ali mounts for things like indicator resistors.

Decided to sand and repaint the top fairing because it wasn't good enough.

Started to sand down the 'kit'. Paint is terrible, but seems solid so far.

Replaced yokes as I didn't like having to use spacers on the wheel spindle and brake mountings: It worked, but looked (and was) bodged, and anyway, I am a little more confident it will steer and stop now. I didn't want to change forks as these are set up for my full-sized physique.

RF 900 top yokes come in 2 pieces, and I decided that I actually prefer it without the top section which holds the bars. Using fork mounted adjustable clip-ons as before.
rf900 yoke fitted smaller.jpg

BigLT
Club Member

Post by BigLT » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Tank painted, stickered, polished and plumbed in.

Tank cap was scratched and had several layers of paint on it. Decided to sand it down to repaint it... I didn't know they were brass. Stuck it on the polishing wheel to see how it would polish up. Looks a bit odd on the white tank, but I might just keep it that way.
polished tank cap 1.jpg

BigLT
Club Member

Post by BigLT » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm

I've been wanting to get my tatty seat recovered in plain black, but couldn't accept the prices I was being quoted locally.

Saw an ad on FaceAche, contacted him and he quoted a really good price so I took a gamble not expecting much.... I've obviously not ridden on it yet, but he's done a great job with good quality material and I'm really happy with it. He did it 'while-u-wait' too. 
seat covered.jpg

BigLT
Club Member

Post by BigLT » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 pm

Took it for MOT this morning... and it only went and passed first time!

I was ready for it to steer like a boat, but it handled superbly. I really rate the fork rebuild especially - steered really neutrally and held a line better than my zx12. A bit low geared, and could probably handle a bigger jet, but it's now only done 10 miles after not rolling since 2007 so I'll put a few more miles on before I start faffing with it.

Battery doesn't seem to be charging properly, so sort that, polish the aluminium, add engine cover sticker things... then start sanding down the Resin/Gimble bodywork, but that can wait.

Celebratory MOT passing pics
Attachments
34 front smaller.jpg
side smaller.jpg
rear for web smaller.png