Sat nav fitting

Working on a nut and bolt restoration, or just a lick of paint.
Post your pictures and stories in here.
sparki
Committee Member

Re: Sat nav fitting

Post by sparki » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:46 pm

Jonty wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Uncle Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:38 pm
Sparki had a neat one off the top of the steering stem pinch bolt. Haven't got a decent photo of it, here's 3 I have. He sold the bike, he might have kept the bracket - you could ask him. It's going to cover the speedo somewhat

kat-gps1.png
kat-gps2.png
kat-gps3.png

I still prefer maps - they don't crash! but I have found with age I can't read them while riding along anymore :-(
I just use my phone when i want a GPS in the tank bag top (or map pocket on tank).

UB
Cheers, that's where I was thinking of mounting, its a big screen but landscape.

So used to sat nav paradigm from the car!

Will see if he's got any pictures, is that his name in the forum?
Sam made those brackets for me i think.... was soo long ago now. brackets were sold some time ago... it used the pinchbolt at the bottom and there was a threaded bit of bar at the top to monut the satnav mount to... the orientation was multi-directional so twist it to wherever you wanted it... was for a phone at the time. sam is pretty good, just give him so basic dimentions and an idea of what u want, and he cobbles up a pic of it for your approval etc
Steve
KOCUK - 241

My Gallery

sparki
Committee Member

Post by sparki » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Kryten wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:43 pm
Sat Nag mounting bar is 25mm diameter x 40mm long. Drilled and tapped each end for 6mm

Brackets are 6mm thick.
Holes at 65mm centres
M6 clearance at top. Radius of top bit is 12.5 mm.

M8 clearance at bottom of bracket. Radius of bottom bit is 9mm.

The offset is achieved by machining a couple of curves in the ally sheet that give you some clearance over the top yoke see photo.

16792405382316686876897725097159.jpg
theyre my old ones i think :)
Steve
KOCUK - 241

My Gallery

Jonty
Club Member

Post by Jonty » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:14 pm

sparki wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:46 pm
Jonty wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Uncle Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:38 pm
Sparki had a neat one off the top of the steering stem pinch bolt. Haven't got a decent photo of it, here's 3 I have. He sold the bike, he might have kept the bracket - you could ask him. It's going to cover the speedo somewhat

kat-gps1.png
kat-gps2.png
kat-gps3.png

I still prefer maps - they don't crash! but I have found with age I can't read them while riding along anymore :-(
I just use my phone when i want a GPS in the tank bag top (or map pocket on tank).

UB
Cheers, that's where I was thinking of mounting, its a big screen but landscape.

So used to sat nav paradigm from the car!

Will see if he's got any pictures, is that his name in the forum?
yes, Sam made them, he asked if still had the original drawings as he wanted dimensions.

If you dont mind me asking, how much were they?

Sam made those brackets for me i think.... was soo long ago now. brackets were sold some time ago... it used the pinchbolt at the bottom and there was a threaded bit of bar at the top to monut the satnav mount to... the orientation was multi-directional so twist it to wherever you wanted it... was for a phone at the time. sam is pretty good, just give him so basic dimentions and an idea of what u want, and he cobbles up a pic of it for your approval etc
yes, Sam made them, he asked if still had the original drawings as he wanted dimensions.

sparki
Committee Member

Post by sparki » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:07 pm

Jonty wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:14 pm

it was so long ago i honestly dont recal... they were nice and made to how wanted them so didnt mind. i dont recal them being ott
Steve
KOCUK - 241

My Gallery

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:19 pm

Ok in addition to the info posted above........

I have scanned the side plate and also done a crude reverse engineering for you.

And yes it is the one owned by Sparki, I bought it couple of years ago off him and no I can't remember how much I paid either.

Used on the trip down to The Mayflower Wussie Kat with good results (apart from the electrical fry up).

I think the hieroglyphics are readable
Kat Sat Nav Mount.jpeg
Just looked at that and realised that the spec for the bolt is wrong! Should be M8 X 65 :roll:
Last edited by Kryten on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

Kryten
Club Member

Post by Kryten » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 pm

Here's a .pdf that if you print out on A4 paper should be 1:1

Kat Sat Nav Mount.pdf
(783.7 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Sorry not able answer phone at moment as I have family stuff going on that kinda takes precedent over the other stuff. Should be back to normal by end of week. Just in time for Easter holidays, grand kids visiting and a trip to Cider Country for a wedding!
Jim

750 SZ (Not So) Skruffy Kat
1000 SZ in bits
7/11 SZ Long term
T509 Back on the road!

It was a New Day yesterday but, by God, it's an Old Day now!

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:21 am

i bought a cheap (30 quid) satnav off ebay it locks to its base with a grubscrew and cant be used if you dont have the mounting. as a cheap chinese satnav its unbranded and totally un nickable. ive been using the same make for years on different bikes. that way its secure cos it isnt worth robbing, and if it does get robbed, its useless cos the base is bolted to the bike.
My Gallery

KOC 004

Smallkat
Club Member

Post by Smallkat » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 am

Hi John, could you give me the make/model?

I was going to get a Beeline satnav, but maybe this cheapie will be a better solution.
GSX250SS Tinykat (gone, but the hole in my wallet not forgotten)
GSX400SS Smallkat
GT250 X7
GT200 X5
BMW R1250R

johnr
Club Member

Post by johnr » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:04 pm

the ones i use are called fodsport, theyre just a generic android based satnav. got one on the beemer as well as the one for the kat. theyre pretty cheap, i bought both these new and didnt pay over 30 quid for either. theyre on ebay for upro 120 quid, but there are realistically priced ones out there if you look. mine have both got european mapping on them.
My Gallery

KOC 004