Side Panels

For discussion on the GSX750 S3 and S4
Joe-Haynes1
Club Member

Side Panels

Post by Joe-Haynes1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Gents, I have recently (2 years ago) purchased a 1984 GSX750SE Pop Up Kat, but the side panels are in poor condition as well as hand sprayed blue. Does anybody know where I can go to find some panels in reasonable nick to replace mine. The choke panel and knob need replacing as does the choke cable, but apart from some new paint and maybe a carb rebuild, the bike runs well. Any assistance gratefully accepted, my plan is to restore to original pearl white, so panels that are not a dark as on presently will be good. Joe

fossie
Club Member

Re: Side Panels

Post by fossie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Pop up side panels with out damage.....no such thing I'm afraid , they all crack in the same place on the bulbous bit that goes round the air box.....There were later ones from the SF/G model that had a strengthing rib , but eventually they cracked .

When we did the pop up project in 2013 we used second hand damaged parts and refurbed everything...The side panels were snapped in half ..seriously 2 bits no lugs .
We sent them to steve@plastics-surgery.com in Worcestershire they came back ready for us to paint.
Try contacting him and quote Katana club .

The choke knob is available from Suzuki as it as a Vx 800 fuel tap aswell.
If you need another panel for reference re: choke knob area we can lend one to club members.

The other option is yahoo Japan were parts are available quite ok price wise , but they don't always want to post overseas , so you may need a rep there .....then hope the HMRC. Don't want blood for importation.
CLUB Chairman

My Gallery

jmac
Club Member

Post by jmac » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:30 am

Hold the front page! I may have something of this nature deep in the bowels of my man cave. I will go over today and explore. I may be gone sometime.

jmac
Club Member

Post by jmac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am

Found them. I have a pair of side panels that I started to refurbish some years ago, for spares for my pop-up, but as I no longer use my bike they can go. They have the full compliment of location pegs and are in primer.
As they stand £50. Painted in pearlescent white £60. with Katana decals £70. I will throw in a choke switch that has been repaired (no guarantee). I may have a choke cable, if so worth a fiver or two?

Uncle Bob
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Bob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am

Blix wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am
Club membership?
Yes, my thoughts as well... I have let Kryten know for his brother who's rebuilding one (and a club member!) just in case.

Rob

Joe-Haynes1
Club Member

Post by Joe-Haynes1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm

jmac wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am
Found them. I have a pair of side panels that I started to refurbish some years ago, for spares for my pop-up, but as I no longer use my bike they can go. They have the full compliment of location pegs and are in primer.
As they stand £50. Painted in pearlescent white £60. with Katana decals £70. I will throw in a choke switch that has been repaired (no guarantee). I may have a choke cable, if so worth a fiver or two?
Hi Jmac, many thanks for your reply, and yes I will take them off your hands if you no longer need them. I am in the process of gathering parts and paint for the project, so if I can buy them as they stand, I will decal them in due course. I am basically putting a metallic blue pop up back to original livery (pearl shiny white), so the plastics are the biggest problem. How do we contact each other on this matter, I don’t want to publish my mobile number.

Joe-Haynes1
Club Member

Post by Joe-Haynes1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi Jmac,

I will take the side panels and the choke lever if I may, how do you want to get in contact ?

Joe-Haynes1
Club Member

Post by Joe-Haynes1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:06 pm

I thought this was the club ?, I am new but a member none the less I thought.

Joe-Haynes1
Club Member

Post by Joe-Haynes1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi Blix,

Ok, how do i become a paid up member, I've been a Kat owner since 1986, so about time I suppose. Out of interest, if I was looking for my old Kat from 86, would anybody here know its whereabouts if I furnished the forum with the reg number ?

jmac
Club Member

Post by jmac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:44 pm

I was under the impression that I was dealing with a paid up member, hence the prices. Will hold them until things are sorted.